Newb Q

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by vette_7t9, Jan 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dudex

dudex Member

HP is mearly an eqaution that combines torque and HP. what Rockn82 meant was that HP has nothing to do with top speed but torque does because of the frictional forces that act against the car. Torque is part of hp but HP doesnt have anything to do with top speed, because if you dont have enough torque to overcome the frictional forces then you can have all the rpm's in the world but you still wont go anywhere.
  2. timrock

timrock Active Member

here is another dummy.he says HP has nothing to do with the top speed of a car but torque does.DUH...without HP the car would sit in one spot.
  3. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

o geez

hey i was wondering, wat is considered the muscle car engine of RC world? a .21?
  4. c496

c496 Member

It can create backpressure and strip gears. I have a nitro for more than 2 yeaars. So I know what I'm talking about.
  5. c496

c496 Member

Vette- A .46 would be the muscle of rc. Are happy with your nitro?
  6. mastmec

mastmec Member

What gears are you talking about?
  7. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

WOW and i thought .26 was big.#@$% thats huge. HP estimates? Ill be sure to drop one into my future RS4!
  8. timrock

timrock Active Member

im glad you know what you are talking about.c496.cause no one else does.what are you taling about with the stripping of gears and the back pressure?what gears and what back pressure are you reffering to?
  9. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

I have another question
    I want to install throttle return springs on an RS4. Do I just buy a kit or something or is there specific kits for each chassis?
  10. dudex

dudex Member

no. all it is is a spring that attaches to some point on your throttle. whenn you give it gas the spring gets stretched out so that if you lose radio contact or your battery dies or whatever then your throttle will go back to nuetral
  11. c496

c496 Member

I'm saying, like if the car is of the ground and and the wheels are turning, if you put your finger over the carb then, it will strip your gears.
  12. mastmec

mastmec Member

What gears? The engine will just die. It has a clutch, the drivetrain will just freewheel, unless it has a problem. The best way to kill the engine is to use the toe of your shoe and rub it against the flywheel, this doesn't flood or starve the engine and will start right back up, also keeps your fingers from hot and spinning things.
  13. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

can you fit a .46 engine in a nitro RS4 3?
  14. mastmec

mastmec Member

You probably could, but you would be greatly disapointed by the end result. Low RPM, too much weight, the engine is designed for torque. You could put a good .12 engine in and stomp anyone with the same car and a big block.
  15. dudex

dudex Member

sometimes you can strip gears by shutting the motor off while the wheels are spinning. its rare but it happens. When the wheels are spinning then the clutch is engaged and if you shut the motor off and it dies before it reaches top dead center then the motor can reverse direction because of the pressure so that it goes doen to bottom dead center. since the clutch is engaged ad doesnt have time to disengage in the time that the motor dies and the backlash effect then the clutch bell spins the opposite way of the wheels. somethings gotta give and if your spur gear is plastic or isnt strong enough then it will strip.
  16. timrock

timrock Active Member

i am so tired of correcting this guy can somone else correct him?

the clutch would disengage if the motor stops spining.omg
  17. dudex

dudex Member

no it would not. It does not have the time to disengage because the motor is turning about 6,000 rpm's. the clutch shoes would not be able to disengage instantaneously, and they would only have about 1 one hundredth of a second to stop grabbing the flywheel.
  18. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

ok

when you go to start a nitro engine, do you remove the glow plug or something? or keep it in? I have no clue.
  19. timrock

timrock Active Member

dudex posted `somtimes you can strip the gears by shuting the motor off with the wheels still spinning`.i said,No,the clutch would disengage if the motor stops spinning.
    then he said it doesnt have time to disengage because it is spinning at 6000 rpms.
    DUH...

if the motor is Shut off how is it spinning at 6000RPMs?

this is one of the reasons i call this guy an Idiot other than the fact that he called me the same.
  20. mastmec

mastmec Member

vette 7t9, the glow plug is what fires the fuel in the engine, its like a spark plug to a gasoline engine. You use a glow starter on the plug that heats the coil in the plug, as the engine runs it keeps the coil hot so it burns the fuel in the cylinder.
    dudex, putting your finger over the carb (with the air filter removed so as not to get dirt into the engine) will not strip any gears or create any backpressure. But I guess a 1 in a million chance anything could happen. If you released your finger just at the right second and the engine hit and then ran backwards, at WOT, then maybe.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.