New York/New Jersey Chapter

Discussion in 'North America' started by DN, Dec 30, 2004.

1. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Ron,

Are you planning on attending the Paper Model Convention on November 10-11 2006? at the Crowne Plaza in Dulles/Herndon.

If you need more info, and anyone else, I will post more tonight

Rick
  2. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

Next meeting of the Scale Modellers Enthusiats will be on
    Tuesday, August 1, doors open at 6:15pm, meeting starts at 7:30. Meeting
    ususally includes a 50/50 raffle, auction of books/plastic models, guest speaker (lately its been a first hand report from the front lines in Iraq) or slide show from a modelling show, followed by more kibitizing and a raffle table grab-bag.

American Legion post #170
    37 W passaic st
    Rochelle Park, NJ 07762

use yahoo maps for directions.
    Edit/Delete Message
  3. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I'm going to try to make the August meeting if possible, but I may not get there until 7:30.
  4. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I'll be there.
    also, there are display tables to show off your work. you can enter one model in the monthly competition, framed awards are given out for first, second, and third prize in two categories, judges ranking, and most popular.
  5. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

meeting tonight in elmwood park, NJ!!! 7:00PM

tonights the night, I got a message Ice Cream cake being served too!!!

(Carvel with lots of crunchies...)

bringing 3 models to show...

not biggies though.

make that rochelle park not elmwood park.
  6. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Don't forget to post pictures for the rest of us!!!
    Lots, please!
    (Use an off-forum, on-line service to post pics, and avoid saturation of this forum server :-D )
  7. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Sorry I missed the meeting. Had to work late. How was it?
  8. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

nice. I was the only paper entries, with my t-rex, mini-castle, and papertoys.com's chrysler building. I think from now on I'll bring one big model for the competition and any single sheet/ one-nighters models that I've made in between.

Surprisingly the chrysler building turned the most heads.

there's one guy that keeps making these incredible rubber band powered balsa and tissue paper airplanes that he flys. really nice. all the others were plastic and resin, although this one guy lou keeps bringing in his sratch build planes that are also incredible. One in particular was a 1:72 Folker D7 (tri-wing) with no canvas but all the control linkages and ribs accurately modeled. Amazing scratch build.
  9. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

I think paper modelism is still a way too long to travel.
    That's an opportunity.
    Thanks Jon.
  10. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

next meeting is this tuesday, december 5 6:15. December does not have a model competition but is rather for a recap of your years creations for the display tables. Also ice cream cake gets served. model auction, 50/50 raffle, and grab-bag table are all going on.

I'll be bringing the Wicked Wench to the competition in January.
  11. pfontaine2

pfontaine2 New Member

I just caought up with this thread and wanted to chime in. I'm in Westchester, NY and would love to know if anything has become of this thread. Have you paper modelers gotten together?

I don't work in the city but could get there easily enough. FYI, I'm the person responsible for the Fireball XL5 and Supercar models on FabGear, but my primary love is architectural models.

Just curious!

Pierre
  12. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

Pierre,

good to hear from you. alas my son is now 15, and your XL5 just sits on his display shelf now, but for many years it was a staple in his pretend play and probably once a month it would be laid out on my workbench for repairs. still looks good though.

Ron (of star trek tos models and Lost in space fame) and I have been regulars at this meeting:

Next meeting of the Scale Modelers Enthusiats will be on the first Tuesday of every month doors open at 6:15pm, meeting starts at 7:30. Meeting
    ususally includes a 50/50 raffle, auction of books/plastic models, guest speaker (lately its been a first hand report from the front lines in Iraq) or slide show from a modeling show, followed by more kibitizing and a raffle table grab-bag. A display table is set up for people to bring in their builds and the members vote on the best model of the month. In addition, formal judges rate the models on technical merit and trophies are awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

American Legion post #170
    37 W passaic st
    Rochelle Park, NJ 07762

use yahoo maps for directions.

which is mainly plastic model kits and scratch builts, but I've been intriguing these craftsmen with paper models for a while now. I just showed my wicked wench and brought a build of one of the "cars" models by webdude and several people went nuts on both models.

I'll be there the first tuesday in February, and I believe that the location is less than 20 miles from the tappan zee bridge. No guessing on how long that takes on a tuesday at 6:00 pm though... you'd take the TZ bridge to the garden state parkway to exit 163, to 17 south, ...
  13. pfontaine2

pfontaine2 New Member

Thanks for the reply. I don't know if I'll make it out to the next show but it sounds great. I'm also glad to hear the XL5 model was such a hit!

I'll keep in touch the closer that the next show happens.
    Pierre
  14. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Will there be a 2007 IPM convention? I sent an email to Peter Heesch a few days ago but no reply so far.