New website

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hey Luis, this old "Ghetto Computer doesn't handle Flash very well but the site is looking good. :) Don't forget about your old buddy Vic when you start making millions of dollars!!!:) :D :)

Rusty Stumps

Hi Luis, I too couldn't get to your site, but I'd like to make a few suggestions if I might.

I too design websites both for myself and professionally and this is what I offer:

First get the book "Websites that suck!" It's fantastic in telling you what NOT to do. I used it like a bible to build my sites.

Second keep the sites simple, don't go with all the fancy add-ins as they slow down the load and people won't wait if it takes more than 15 seconds to at least load part of the site.

I'd do two sites in design, one in English and one in Portuguese with a central default page that directed visitors to one or the other. It can be very confusing if the rest of your pages carry both languages besides being too busy.

Use a product like FrontPage to do your design and definately use Tables. Set up a table about 750 points wide with possible 3 to 6 columns and probably 10 rows to start. Set the border of the cells to 0 so they don't show. Put your graphics and text into the sells. You can merge cells, etc.

I administer some other commercial sites that were written in ASP and I still do most of the work in FrontPage.

You can look at both my sites as this is how I have done mine: www.theaimgroupinc.com and www.rustystumps.com You might not be able to view them from inside The Gauge so you will have to open a new browser window and type in the URL.

Hope this helps,
Walt

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Well I found this interesting. At first I got the dreaded 404 window then I highlighted the info in the address window and all of a sudden your website showed up Xaniel.
Not much there as you say so will wait for more to be uploaded before I comment further.

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
I'd have to offer up my own webmaster experience. I used Frontpage to create my company's Intranet. It is a good product - provided you're using version 2000 or better. But if you want to be creative, original and really get good at and (most importantly) understand the guts behind web content design the very best way to go is the Macromedia family of products:
  1. Dreamweaver MX for web sites and on line database systems
  2. Flash MX for the spiffy but small special effects that will get you noticed
  3. Fireworks MX to get your graphics up to par
  4. Freehand to create your own custom vector graphics
    [/list=1]
    They will cost you more, but what you get in return justifies the price up front. Just as in model railroading, carpentry or dentistry (yikes) - you're only as good as your tools allow you to be.

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
I agree with you msh. the macromedia family is a good way to creat sites...

But I like to use Adobe Photoshop, to create the website layout/design. Then I slice the image in pieces in Fireworks.

Tehn I simply open the Windows Notepad ( yes I really like to program) and insert every HTML/Javascript line.

I also use Flash MX for buttons, and little effects... I'm still improving evry techinque I already know and lear some more.

I really enjoy webdesigning...

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
Xaniel - you're way ahead of most doing what your are! Photoshop is a killer app! And using Notepad to code (outstanding!!!) is a very fulfilling way to get your sites together, not to mention the best way to know every nut and bolt you've got holding it all together. That's true web design - keep on having fun!!