New water feature advice please

Highlander1

Mar 19, 2007
www.brydens-craiglea.co.uk
Dear All

I have started putting in water features using hot melt glue over sand which was PVA glued onto the hillside channels in West Highlands we have streams of water everywhere 78 dry days at my house in 2005!!

So our lay out needs to have Lochs/lakes and rivers and plenty of em.

I have painted the outlines in haphazardly with a brush to leave indications of rough locations.

Last night I prepared a Loch bed using sand technique.

Do you think the water fall feature clear no nails would work if poured over the place I need lots or would I try laying hot melt glue sticks on the water bed and try melting with a hot air gun on full heat.

We want to get as real an indication as possible NAZGUL waterfall tutorial was really impressive.

Lochs in Scotland are deep black or dark peaty brown not bright blue and the reflexions from the clear water are incredible so thought of taking pictures of lay out in parts and pouring the material over the pictures to give the mirror reflexion..

All trials and ideas greatly received we try to make up things rather than buy in.

The viaduct is next balsa wood card board and body filler. Will post picture when done.

Happy constructing John & Dougs

Attachments

• IMG_2998_1.jpg
    IMG_2998_1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 160

jambo101

Feb 14, 2007
Montreal
I'm not seeing loch's and lakes in this picture,I'd also delete the big truck as it kinda overloads the scene..The telephone booth also looks to be in a dangerous spot.

Highlander1

Mar 19, 2007
Hi

I drive big trucks around West highlands believe me they overload the scene.

The lay out is in it's indication stage at moment nothing is finished we wanted to get the basic shape going first. Telephone box isn't painted or finished properly and had been plopped there to give an indication of scale for the hedge which still needs finishing.

Here's a picture of where we want the water to go. Through the fank under the railway, under the road bridge and into the loch.

On one roads I drive we have 3inches between the rear trailer and the bridge. Thats with the bumper almost scraping the wall on the front near side. we have to drop the suspension to get under the bridges with the front of the trailer then raise 1/2 way through to get the back under. There is 1.2 inch either side of the top of trailer and the bridge. keeps the mind focused and scares the hell out of the tourists.

Thanks for your feed back we need lots of it so we can get things right all thoughts are well received.
Cheers mate any ideas on the water though.

Kind Regards JB

Attachments

• IMG_3018_1.jpg
    IMG_3018_1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 133

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
I'd use clear drying resin, but you will need to ventilate the room well, otherwise you may pass out. Use Scotch tape, twisted to make small waterfalls if you have any, then run the resin over the tape.

I use (and sell) a product called Magic Water, No harmfull vapors and gives a great effect!
finishpond003.jpg

David

The sand is not dark enough for a realistic lake bottom, and it will show through a transparent material. Probably should paint it black. Harold Minky, I think, was trying reflective mylar balloon material which looked pretty dang good. Many just use a shiny varnish over a darker base without attempting the transparent look which often does not present in nature. Stripes' Magic Water looks excellent also!!

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
Sherwood Park,Alberta, Canada
Hi John,
You may like to view my previous posts about the water I did for my docks scene.
You can find my posts under DENYONS with the thread name "My Layout Progress"
This is the easiest possible way to make a water scene that I know of.
Dennis

Highlander1

Mar 19, 2007
Hi Denyons

I have been trawling through yer pictures aye praw just sublime they are to.

We have printed off the information and will get there soon. constructing the viaduct just now.

Attachments

• IMG_2694_1.jpg
    IMG_2694_1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 93

Highlander1

Mar 19, 2007
Hi Chaparral

That looks great I wonder if the cake bases are the same they have an alloy type finish. Your grass looks amazing the bit with the horse standing in middle.

Where do you get that from.

We do most of my sculpting in car body filler the stuff used to fill dents in doors etc.

most of the bridges house etc are made from balsa then coated with the plastic padding car filler sanded and bricks stones etched with a small dremel type tool.

Thanks for the advice.
balloon6
Regards John & Dougs

Chaparral

Feb 5, 2007
Calgary Alberta
That looks great I wonder if the cake bases are the same they have an alloy type finish. Your grass looks amazing the bit with the horse standing in middle.

Where do you get that from.

I hope you haven't confused Chaparral with someone who has talent, ability and skill.

Chaparral can only dream about such beautiful and creative work, because my layout exists only in the cobwebs of my mind.

Highlander1

Mar 19, 2007
Cheers Today was a dry day so no layout work today when you average 80 dry days a year you've got to make the most of em.

We used to fly model aircraft but the weather is so bad so often we have given that up as a bad joke.

Cheers John & Dougs.