New track plan

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
I have finalized the space alocated for the permanent layout. I have attached a first draft of the track plan, suggestions welcomed. This is a 21 sq. foot total layout 9' long with a 3' island on the right and a 4' island on the left. I should note that the left side, top and lower right side of this will be up against walls. The 2' X 4' island on the left will be in a closet space. this is N scale, minimum radius is 11" in the closet and 15" elsewhere.

The point to point in the middle is to be a primarilty commuter line with, possibly, occasional freight traffic.

Attachments

• resize wizard-1.jpg
    resize wizard-1.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 248

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
"sigh"...Alas, to have such a spacious estate with which to establish an empire... You are off to a great start. I respectfully submit two ideas, 1) on the left loop I would consider adding a turnout as it enters a tunnel on the corner that would go down to a lower level staging area, perhaps two or three track, to act as a distant destination for trains to arrive from and depart for. 2) on that left corner, about a foot after the track left the other end of the tunnel, I would install a ladder track (a series of consecutive turnouts that each lead into their own yard spur) to lead into and lengthen the yard planned on the right side. This would give you the second arrival/departure point for your traffic and more storage for cars, while still leaving you realistic open spaces for you to model.

I'm sorry I don't have a CAD program to better picture this but hope to have given you something to consider. The additional carpentry isn't that complicated and operational capabilities would be greatly enhanced without using additioal space.

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
strthoky, The overall length is 9'. This is basically a 2x4 island attatched to a 3x3 island with a 1' bridge. I am using a couple of trim pieces to ease transitions.

Shaygetz, I like the idea of connecting the upper left to the yards and updated the drawing to show it. I also added an industrial spur off of the commuter line on the right side... (not too sure of that.) I have also considered using lower level staging but one of the conditions of this project is that the layout have the look and feel of finished furniture. That means cabinet fronts and shelving to match the other mission style pieces in the room and no exposed electrical or framing.:eek:

Attachments

• 1stdraftlayout.jpg
    1stdraftlayout.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 206

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Yakko if you have the Great Model Railroad tape of Tony Koester's A&M, it shows a staging yard under the layout. The facia looks like finished furniture, but one section of the paneling (held closed by a magnet) flips down exposing the yard when you need to get to it. When closed you can't tell it.