New Toys! I mean...new EQUIPMENT!

roryglasgow

Santa brought my son a wooden railroad layout on a table. Santa didn't have time to paint the board, so Mommy and Daddy will have to do it! :)

-Rory

Attachments

• dsc_025.jpg
    dsc_025.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 156

roryglasgow

And Daddy got some new locomotives, too! Here is the SD80MAC. Those headlights are BRIGHT!

Attachments

• sd80-1.jpg
    sd80-1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 156

roryglasgow

And an SW9/1200! I've always wanted one of these. Here it is pushing a string of stock cars onto a spur. Both engines run excellent!

-Rory

Attachments

• sw9-1.jpg
    sw9-1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 149

TR-Flyer

Santa must have once owned stock in Baldwin. I got an S-Helper Service SW9-1200, Rio Grande Line, for Christmas as well. That's S-gauge equipment, hope you don't mind me crashing the HO area. It won't be the Rio Grande for too much longer. Going to "switch" it to the Chicago & Illinois Midland RR. Also got 3 Plasticville and 2 K-line structures. I guess Santa wants me to go forth and multiply my layout. Who am i to argue with Santa?
Regards,
Ted

justind

cool

Rory,
Looks like the same set I picked up for my nephew. He isn't quite 3 yet, so he doesn't get to play much with it, but it is there for him as he grows into it. I was a little disapointed in the quality of the connections between track (especially on the bridges) but think mounting it to a board in the future will really help things out. By the time he is old enough to appreciate it maybe I can throw in a few of the more expensive Thomas stuff.
Really like the new engines, especially the switcher. Those little guys have a lot of charachter.

roryglasgow

I'd own a fleet of those SW9/1200s if I had the extra money. That's a great little locomotive! The SD80MAC is awesome, too. It runs VERY smoothly. The only problem I had with it was that it would stall in three different places on the layout. All three spots were right after a turnout point. After some examination I realized that the fuel tank on the bottom of the loco was running up onto the switch mechanism on the neighboring track. It was just enough to lift it off the rail on one side. Interestly enough, I was having the same problem with another locomotive, but in only two of the areas. I thought it was an electrical problem, and had been scratching my head over it for months. So, I just trimmed down the egde of the boxes with my hobby knife, and now everybody is happy! :)

-Rory

roryglasgow

Justin,

That wooden railway system is one that we picked up from Wal-mart for like $40. It's HUGE! The table is 37" x 57". The quality of the track isn't as nice as on the Brio sets, but it works just fine. It came with three steam locomotives and a bunch of rolling stock, as well as trees, people and some buildings. The turntable works, it has a drawbridge, a signal box, plus lots of other visual features. Not bad for the money!

His grandma gave him some Thomas videos for Christmas that had the wooden engines. So in addition to those that came with the set, he also has Thomas, Percy and Toby. He's a very happy engineer!

-Rory

justind

Rory,
Yup. That is the one I bought. Great price, but I think I get more fun out of it than he does. Still a little too young...and so am I, I guess. ;)
The only real problem was on the bridge with the lifts, the connecting pin is out far enough so when you connect the track it binds up and won't let it lift (not enough room for the bridge peice to manuever around). A little sanding should take care of it.
I bought it hoping that it is Brio/Thomas compatible and it looks like it is. I think my nephew and I need to toy shopping...;)

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Rory,
Looks like Rory Jnr is having a lot of fun running trains, start um yound thats what I say. Looks a hugh setup also.
My Grandson had a Thomas & Percy set for Christmas, it just fits on a 5' by 3'-3" board, I had to set it up and get it running after Santa left it.!!!
Shamus

Shamus

roryglasgow

Justin,

I forgot to mention that the set I got was missing two pieces! I had to shorten the long sides and use a female-female short piece where a male-female short piece was supposed to go. Also, I had to remove a peg from one of the long straights (to make up for a missing female-female). I didn't have any problems with the drawbridge, but I had to do a little extra gluing to make the ramps that attach to the other big bridge stay up.

Shamus,

When I get some more money, we get moved into a bigger place, and Bryan gets a little older, I was thinking it would be nice to set up an HO electric Thomas & Percy layout. But that'll be a ways down the line. He's perfectly content with his wooden system right now. In fact, he's in his room right now playing with it. It's amazing how few toys have found themselves out into the living room since that train table showed up in his bedroom! We hardly see him anymore! :)

-Rory