New to this

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by oldtanker, Feb 26, 2006.

1. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

We are putting in a garden rairoad this spring (we haven't decided which train to get yet but are looking). I have no idea of what we are getting into but think that it will be fun and that the grandkids will love it. What I would like to do is find a club in the westren part of MN cause I know I'm going to need advice and guidance (gee getting married wsn't this hard)! Also any ideas, advice or knowledge that you guys may be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

While this isn't MN an outdoor layout has just as many obstacles here in western Nevada. A friend of mine put up a 550' mainline outside on the ground, and runs it year round provided it isn't under a foot of snow. He used the Atlas 3-Rail track with the UV resistant ties and set it in a trough 4" wide and 3" deep with decomposed granite as the base. I don't recall if he used anything to bond the track to the top the crushed rock base. It has been up over 3 yrs and survived last year’s record snow pack. He runs MTH trains with DCS control with great success. I've seen him pull 40 car trains with no problem and he told me he can run even longer ones if he wishes. Another thing he does is use outdoor lighting kits for running his power out to the outlying points on the track. Very little drop off of power has been noted. He runs a track cleaning car in most trains and does little prep work to run. At the beginning of a season, he checks track for levelness and runs a Brillo pad on an old broom handle to wipe the track down. If you want to see some pictures, I could e mail some I took two years ago.

Greg
  3. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Thanks Greg, I would like to see the the pictures, you can mail them to rlkfam@yahoo.com.
  4. Philinbos

Philinbos Member

Garden Railways lists one club in Minnesota -the Minnesota GRS The contact person lives in Cottage Grove if that's anywhere near you. The contact info is Dick Mullen email: rumullen@comcast.net
  5. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Thank you, I send a mail.
  6. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

That Email is no longer valid.
  7. Philinbos

Philinbos Member

You might try calling -They list Dick Mullen at 651-459-3659