New to this forum and have lots of ????

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Tom45, May 20, 2006.

1. Tom45

Tom45 New Member

Hi all, my wife and I was just sitting here the other day. And our son comes in saying "I come bearing gifts." With him he handed me a complete boxed set never opened of a beautiful HO scale train set. I have a few other sets but none like this!!! It's a Zenith Limited HO Scale Model Electric Train Set. Collector's Edition Limited Quantities Available.
    My question for you great collectors is this. Is there a way to tell how old this set is WITHOUT opening it? I can't find a date on the box no-where. Included in this train set is:
    Authentically Detailed Collector's Quality 2-6-0 Mogul Steam Locomotive with Attached Tender, 1 Box Car, 1 Tanker, 1 Twin Container, 1 Caboose, 1 Twin Arm Automatic Crossing Gate, 1 Power pak with wires, Extended Figure 8 Layout, A 45* crossing,
    Assembly and operating instructions. The guy that he bought this set from told him that they was hoping for a son and got a daughter. And the man was now elderly. So I was just really wanting to try to get more info on this set if possible. I have tried to find it on the web but no luck. Can someone here help me? Thanks in advance.....
  2. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Produced in 1982, this set included the U-36B, two box cars, a tank car, hopper car, and caboose all dressed in various Zenith paint schemes. Another Zenith train set exists that includes a steam engine, this second set is not produced by Bachmann. It was produced by IHC sometime in the 1990s.
  3. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

4. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

:wave: welcome to the gauge :wave: is there a bar code on the box?
  5. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Hello Tom & Welcome To The-Gauge.:wave:
  6. SpamBurger

SpamBurger New Member

My father in law has this set as well and has asked me to find any info on it. He got it as a sales prize in the late 80's or early 90's. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanx:thumb:

SirSpamAlot