New to the Hobby - Seeking Advice

cillian_sheerin

Sep 18, 2012
Hello all, I am a first time model boat builder who is seeking advice with regards my first project. I am studying woodwork in college and am currently planning my final year project. I come from a fishing background and for a while now I have toyed with the idea of making a scale model of my father’s fishing boat. The boat in question is an Ocean Tramp 36.
Although the boat itself is of fibreglass construction, I intend to recreate it using timber. I also have the blueprints of the boat which I intend to scale down. I will build the boat in college so I have a full workshop of tools at my disposal. With regards time, as it is my final year project I intend to invest quite an amount of time in the build as it needs to showcase my woodorking ability, for the same reason I want to make pretty much every aspect of the build from scratch where possible. As far as the budget of the build is concerned, I have no exact figure in mind but am happy to spend in order to achieve a high quality finished boat as it will need to be presented for assessment so I dont intend to cut corners. I also want the boat to be radio controlled.
I am proficcient at woodwork but am a complete novice when it comes to this sort of model making so any assistance which anyone can provide regarding any part of the build would be massively appreciated!

Z

Zathros

I moved this to Introductions, as it is more appropriate for a first post. You need software to design your boat. This will allow you to make the templates necessary to create the hull.

I noticed you posted this in a few forums, if you can come up with the Hull lofts, or formers, it wouldn't be hard to make a hull drawing and templates at all. :)

megapanda

Sep 11, 2012
Hi Cillian Sheerin welcome to the board :D
nice projet dont forget to take some picas at differents step