new to the hobby and gauge

johnnyb1216

hello everyone,
newbie here from akron,ohio with a model layout a couple of months old. learning alot on this site and feel i know alot of you eventhough you dont know me. all the knowledge here is incredible and you are all so willing to help.i just thought i would say hi andshow a few pics of what i have done so far

Attachments

• train&christmas041_edited.JPG
    train&christmas041_edited.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 121
  • train&christmas040.1.JPG
    train&christmas040.1.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 120
  • train&christmas038.1.JPG
    train&christmas038.1.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 120
  • train&christmas035.1.JPG
    train&christmas035.1.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 121
  • train&christmas007.1.JPG
    train&christmas007.1.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 127

johnnyb1216

a few more

a couple more pics

Attachments

• train&christmas003.1.JPG
    train&christmas003.1.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 215
  • train&christmas001.1.JPG
    train&christmas001.1.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 127
  • PIC_0045.1.JPG
    PIC_0045.1.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 160
  • PIC_0036.1.JPG
    PIC_0036.1.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 126
  • PIC_0044.1.JPG
    PIC_0044.1.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 178

johnnyb1216

more pics

a few of my first weathering tries with an air brush remember i am still learning

Attachments

• PIC_0050.1.JPG
    PIC_0050.1.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 136
  • PIC_0052.1.JPG
    PIC_0052.1.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 133

Seaboard

Hello and Welcome to The Gauge:wave: johnnyb1216. That is one awesome layout you have, and it looks like progress is comin along very well. Keep postin pics on your progress, we like to see the work on peoples layout so far.:thumb:

jr switch

First of all, Welcome aboard--I'm still new to the forum myself and learning at the speed of light. You are correct, this is the most helpful group Iv'e ever seen!
Your layout is going to be great. What I liked was some wood, some tracks, a building and then, MOUNTAINS!!!! Those suckers grew fast. Looks like your going to have a very hilly layout. Keep posting photos cause we all like watching layouts come together--keep up the good work----John R

CAS

Welcome johnnyb1216 to the gauge :wave: .

Coming along pretty fast.

Do you have access to the back of your mountains? Just in case of a unwanted derailment.
You should have some kind of access.

CAS

johnnyb1216

back of mountains

yea accually i have a duck under that ends up under the stairs and that would be inside the mountains

johnnyb1216

to fast

being totally new to this great hobby sometimes i feel im moving to fast or doing things in the wrong order. i know i would have done things different if i was starting now( thanks to most of you) but my budget doesnt allow me to start again. so before i start the next step iwill definatly start by asking the gauge.the pics with the mountains were taken this evening-----i guess what im askin is am i ready for plaster cloth? or should i layout my steets? should i have all my buildings i want bought (again a small budget problem not huge but just a time thing) , built and set where they go? i just don't know what to do next can someone help? thanks, john

shaygetz

Welcome to The Gauge, John...:wave:

Coming along quite well for a first layout:thumb: The weathered car looks great too. That Coal Mine was the first kit I ever built in HO scale, back in 1974.

MarioBarb

Hi

impressive use of available space. Like the mountains, but does anyone have any good reasons for not using foam the way it has been used here? Still very much new to this, (still trying to work out xtrkcad)! and trying to convince "she from Venus" that the garage is better utilised for trains than keeping cars locked up! Will eventually get round to something and I am looking at every angle and bit of advice - learnt a ton of stuff from this forum!

Wow!! Extremely impressed and envious!!!! Great use of the area available!!!
But, 1 question: Is the Blue 60' Thrall all door car, the longest car you have? As in the last pics you have posted, the parallel tracks emerging from the tunnel, That particular car seems to overhang thru the "danger zone" of parallel clearance, and could possibly sideswipe another car/engine on the opposing track.
And, by the way, Welcome Aboard!:thumb:

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Love the weathering- ONE IMPORTANT TIP (this is what I've been recently told)- when starting a new project you should tell yourself that you are gonna be good at this, what you are going to do will be the best out there.

That doesn't mean get cocky but rather that you will get better results if you believe in your projects and remember: ITS YOUR LAYOUT- don't listen to what people have to say, unless you ask for their opinion or help of course.

johnnyb1216

foam

MarioBarb said:
Hi

impressive use of available space. Like the mountains, but does anyone have any good reasons for not using foam the way it has been used here? Still very much new to this, (still trying to work out xtrkcad)! and trying to convince "she from Venus" that the garage is better utilised for trains than keeping cars locked up! Will eventually get round to something and I am looking at every angle and bit of advice - learnt a ton of stuff from this forum!
thanks for the compliment mario i read about using foam that way in a model railroading mag maybe from dec or nov but thought it was a good way to do some steep mountains with some kind of detail but in the mag they just formed the seams with plaster and i think im going to try plaster cloth to cover all the foam all i can do is try and see what happens that foam was just sheets of insulation my grandfather(god rest his soul) had in the garage. decided the price was right for some mountains

Amrap1

Welcome....

Yes this is a great place for help and ideas. I REALLY like how you used the foam vertically for your mountains! Can't wait to see them after the plaster cloth goes on!

Ed

johnnyb1216

thanks

MadHatter said:
Love the weathering- ONE IMPORTANT TIP (this is what I've been recently told)- when starting a new project you should tell yourself that you are gonna be good at this, what you are going to do will be the best out there.

That doesn't mean get cocky but rather that you will get better results if you believe in your projects and remember: ITS YOUR LAYOUT- don't listen to what people have to say, unless you ask for their opinion or help of course.
thanks mad for the weathering compliment and tip. at my age im not real worried about critisism i know the difference between someone being mean and someone givin me help. also know there is more than one way to skin a cat- what may be the wrong way for some may be the only way for others. new ideas are great but it doesen't mean i'll do it that way, like you said the layout is mine i need to impress no one. but i enjoy all the posts and are really impressed with everyones details.
thoughobreed that car is acually part of what made me decide to do a layout i know that its to long for my space allotted, but it was that car and a few others that i pulled out of a box that was packed away for years from a layout me and my dad never finished when i was a child so it will probobly be packed away and not used when i start using more than one loco at a time:)

Amrap1

that car is acually part of what made me decide to do a layout i know that its to long for my space allotted, but it was that car and a few others that i pulled out of a box that was packed away for years from a layout me and my dad never finished when i was a child so it will probobly be packed away and not used when i start using more than one loco at a time

Just my opinion......If I had trains of the same scale that came from my Dad, I would use them even if it didn't run. Put them into a scene like a warehouse or somthing that doesn't have to move.

Ed