New to the Gauge !

rcline

Hello to all! - I am the new kid on the block. I am building a layout in my game room and plan to make it a rather large one. I have built a few kit buildings, but am now building every thing from scratch. I have been mounting lights in all the buildings and even in the outhouse with a man doing his thing in it. Right now all my electrics are ran under the table, but that is all being changed up. I am using #22 gauge motor rewinding wire that is being run from power pole to pole. So my overhead electric wires will really carry all voltage to all the buildings and street lighting. Having access to a lot of bad cd drives and floppy readers, I have been tearing out micro switches and worm gears with the motors. Using the worm gears, I am able to make remote control doors on my roundhouse and barns that really open and close. Because of my heavy workload and time allotment, I only allow myself about 4 hours each Sat. to work on my layout. So the going is very slow. In a few days I hope to get a few pics on here so as you fine folks can teach me a few tricks of the trade. And I could use all the help that I can get. (Because I am a beginner at this). I have already learned a lot from you folks just by studying the photos that I have seen on here so far.

Thank you – Randy Cline (little choo choo) :)

NYC-BKO

:wave:-Welcome to the Gauge, Randy -:wave: There is alot of great talent here to learn from.

It sounds like you got yourself alot of work ahead of you, it will be interesting to see your progress. Good luck with the layout and the remote doors, great idea. -:thumb:

Lighthorseman

Put Your Feet Up!

Welcome aboard, Randy! :thumb: You'll find this bunch to just about the friendliest and most helpful folks around. :)

Can't wait for those pictures! :thumb:

rcline

Thank you for all the kind words from everyone. I'll try to get pics put on here tonight tonight. Randy - Little Choo Choo

Welcome Randy. I've never heard of Byers but your zipcode indicates you might be close to me. Era is about 30 miles NW of Denton, where's Byers? The "live" electric sounds real neat. Looking forward to the pictures. I will be lighting all my buildings when I get to that stage...liked the effect on my previous layout. If you're able to get to Ft. Worth in November, there's a great "HolidayTrain Show" there every year (there's others, and this one sorta repeats in Plano in January). Go on the home layout tours for some great ideas.

rcline

Hello Willie ( Santafewillie ) , Byers, Tx. is 22 miles east of Wichita Falls and about 90 miles northwest of Ft.Worth. Your right, we are close at hand. I would love to do the Nov. gig in Ft.Worth, BUUUUT, sometime in Nov. I have to fly to the Malta islands off the tip of Italy to do a systems integration job on a couple of plastic blow molding machines there. At this time I don't have a date as to when I will be leaveing, but I did pay my 100 bucks today for my passport. Will be taking pics of my project in a few miutes here. Bare in mind that I am a beginner and have a lot to do and learn. Randy Cline - Little Choo Choo

rcline

beginners pics

Ok, here are my beginner pics, showing the table starting on the right and swinging around to the left. And then a few more thrown in. The AC unit will become the Whispering Winds Caves.

Attachments

• MVC-767F.JPG
    MVC-767F.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 88
  • MVC-768F.JPG
    MVC-768F.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 89
  • MVC-769F.JPG
    MVC-769F.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 87
  • MVC-770F.JPG
    MVC-770F.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 82
  • MVC-760F.JPG
    MVC-760F.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 86

rcline

More beginners pics

A few more! (Little Choo Choo)

Attachments

• IM_A0010.JPG
    IM_A0010.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 83
  • MVC-771F.JPG
    MVC-771F.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 81
  • MVC-775F.JPG
    MVC-775F.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 77
  • MVC-556X.JPG
    MVC-556X.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 76
  • MVC-544X.JPG
    MVC-544X.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 76
Looking good Randy. I've been working on my current layout for 22 months and I have a lot more bare plywood. Love those night scenes.

rcline

Thank you Willie ! My problem is that I'm having more fun building tables and laying track than anything else. Here in Byers, Tx. (city population of about 490 people) the old rail line ran North East from Wichita Falls to Petrolia and then another 5 miles North East to Byers. The line was called the Wichita Valley Special. Then old line was removed in the 50's (from what I was told). The city holds it meetings every first Thursday of each month, so next month I plan on being there to ask the towns people for copies of any and all the old photos that they might have from when the train came here. I want to add another 12' by 12' section of table to the layout and try to build a
replica of Byers.
Because I am a member of local V.F.D., the whole town already knows that I am a train nut and have showed them many of my photos.
Now Byers is about 90 percent senior citizens and I think that half of have of them have told me that they would like to see the layout asap and then again after I get the city of Byers built. I'm starting to think that my Byers plan has put a sparkel back
in thier eyes, because each time I hit the little local coffie shop, everyone keeps
asking how is train set coming and a lot of people have told me that they have photos for me to use.
Well enough rambling for now, I need to get to the shop and get some work done.
rcline - Little Choo Choo