New to the forum

Krawler

Mar 14, 2007
Hi Y'all

Just thought I would say hi to you guys.:wave: I just found the forums today and thought I would join the group. I am not totally new to model railroading but I feel like it since it's been nearly 15 yrs since I have worked on a layout.:(

I have a ton of questions before I start on a layout but I will look around more before I start posting. I know it'll be HO is the resaon I posted in this section. *L*

Krawler

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Welcome,you have come to the right place!You won't find nicer,more helpful people on the 'net.Enjoy your stay.:)

Chris

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
When you get ready to ask questions just throw them out there. We'll answer them to the best of our ability and/or knowledge. I have 40+ years experience in model railroading and may be able to help a bit.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
:wave: Hi Krawler and welcome to the Gauge. Chris said it well, there are so many nice people here and people really do know what they are talking about here :thumb: so don't hesitate to ask questions.

So your doing HO scale, nice choice, it is the most popular scale. I model in both HO and N scales.

Do you know the roadnames you want to model? What about a particular region or area or just kinda make your own empire? I chose to make my own empire but I model BNSF, and UP/CNW on it.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Welcome aboard! Looking forward to both your questions and your thoughts, and with your previous experience, I'm sure you can answer other people's questions as well!

Krawler

Mar 14, 2007
Thanks for the welcome.

I have more time now so a little more information about myself.

Trucklover to answer your question about roadname, I actually have several but all related B&O, C&O, Western Maryland and CSX. I grew up in and around Cumberland Md need I say more*L*

As far as layout goes, right now I am in a pickle about that, I have been doodling(sp) on paper for several months now. I will be using a bedroom to start but within the next 5 to 10 yrs I will be building a new shop with a second floor.....all layout...probaly 20 by 24 if not a little bigger.

So with my ideas for the bigger layout where do I start right now? Thoughts have been to build both yards I want but if I do that then I wouldn't be able to run the trains but just look at them *L* any ideas would be great.

Krawler

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Krawler, welcome! Glad you could join us. Your reference to the two yards suggests you're thinking of building a layout now that might be able to be incorporated in the future larger one.. Great idea! If its going to be as many as five to ten years before the big layout is constructed then I encourage you to create something now that will be satisfying for a while.
Ralph

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Krawler said:
So with my ideas for the bigger layout where do I start right now? Thoughts have been to build both yards I want but if I do that then I wouldn't be able to run the trains but just look at them *L* any ideas would be great.

Krawler
Build just one yard now, include a continuous run and several industrial spurs and/or sidings. Make sure to allow for expansion later on, eg: a dead-end spur that can later lead to another layout section.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Welcome aboard. I think I would model sectional shelf units, like modular, but not necessary to have any particular standard track spacings at the ends to work with other modules. That way you could make some industrial switching districts to play with. Later when the new building is built, these sections could be incorporated into the new space. I think that some time spent operating some switching layouts will give you a good idea of what sort of industries you want to incorporate in the new space. You will also discover what works and what doesn't. You might even find that what you built is really not what you want to run in the new layout and thus give you some better ideas of what you want to do in the new space. I think I would wait to build the yards until the new building was built. The size of your yards in combination with any hidden staging will determine the number and length of trains you can run. I think a yard built to fit in a relatively small bedroom, will be too small for the space you are planning in the new building. If the yards are big enough for the new building, they may be difficult to move out of the bedroom and overwhelm any layout you could put in the bedroom.

I think I would also reccomend that you just do scenery on the small straight shelf units and go around the corners of the bedroom with simple unscenicked curves to serve as connectors, unless you want to use the corners to practice scenery methods. I say this because the straight shelf units are relatively easy to fit into any layout space you would have available in the new building, but the curves might not fit as well. Also get your track working and switch layout the way you want it before doing a lot of scenery including ballast. That way you can easily move tracks around if you find that a different layout would work better.

Krawler

Mar 14, 2007
Again thanks for the welcome all.

Well new developements, since I last posted.*L* I google earthed the yard I was going to replicate and I have had my bubble blown to bits by the actual size of the yard from space*L* I grew up around it and never grasped the size til nowwall1

So taking the advice of Russ I am going modular for now. With the first table being a coal mine. Second table being a small mining town. And a third up in the air right now.

Krawler

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Sometimes you need a dose of reality. If you have a city map you can check how big a yard is; a lot of them will be a mile or more because the trains were a mile long. Then you note that that's 60 feet in HO scale. Right: 4 times the length of my basement.

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
60103 said:
Sometimes you need a dose of reality. If you have a city map you can check how big a yard is; a lot of them will be a mile or more because the trains were a mile long. Then you note that that's 60 feet in HO scale. Right: 4 times the length of my basement.

Times like this, I wish I had chosen N scale...

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
One thing to give consideration to is whether you really want a yard or not? Unless you really want to operate a yard prototypically, you can get a lot more railroad in a smaller space by dispensing with yards altogether. If you use a double ended, hidden, staging yard under your benchwork on a second level for instance. You can stage complete trains, and then just model the destinations on the layout. The "yard" your local freights come out of or go to would be the hidden staging yard. Some through trains might come out of staging, go the full length of the railroad and return to staging.