New to O scale

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by BNSFtheLeader, Oct 2, 2005.

1. BNSFtheLeader

BNSFtheLeader Member

Hello everyone I just joined the O Scale Acult and I have got to admit it's about addicting as N scale with the exception of the scenery part, But I've got a cure for that since it's 7' center I can't really see any scenery but if I put a spy camera on the Engine I can have a field day with it including backdrops. Hummmmm! :rolleyes:

This autta be interesting :thumb:

But I wanted to let Everyone to know that not only am I in the N Scale area but now I've gone to O as well. I'm looking foward to interesting stories.

Have fun chuggin along.

Joshua.
  2. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

HI BNSF,

This is a great time to be in O Gauge. :wave: There has never been so many different mfg and choose in engines and rolling stock. :thumb: There is also many different types of tracks and two different command systems. :cool:

Do you have a choose of track system yet ?

How about a command system ?
  3. BNSFtheLeader

BNSFtheLeader Member

Hey! Tom,

I'm still in the manual stages of N scale so the same goe's for O I've already got a running route X2 Mains. I went with hi-rail lional 3 Rail track and I screwed up by not puting any Cork road bed, Or any other type of bedding down now I'm paying the price for it, It's so damn loud it's almost annoying but at the same time it's almost like the real thing (which can be cool at times) Between me and my uncle we have accumulated 6 Engines and 43 cars a diecent little set to start but still away's to go.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated especially with reguards to DCC since I do not to much familuarity with it.

Thanks for your time.

Joshua.
  4. BNSFtheLeader

BNSFtheLeader Member

Hey! Tom,

I'm still in the manual stages of N scale so the same goe's for O I've already got a running route X2 Mains. I went with hi-rail lional 3 Rail track and I screwed up by not puting any Cork road bed, Or any other type of bedding down now I'm paying the price for it, It's so damn loud it's almost annoying but at the same time it's almost like the real thing (which can be cool at times) Between me and my uncle we have accumulated 6 Engines and 43 cars a diecent little set to start but still away's to go.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated especially with reguards to DCC since I do not haveto much familuarity with it.

Thanks for your time.

Joshua.
  5. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

You can work on the noise by using foam insulation board under your track. O is noisy but so are real trains. You will enjoy playing with them as there are so many operating accessories. Enjoy.:D
  6. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Hi BSNF,

The two types of command, 1st one out was Lionel with TMCC and the 2nd one out 6 years later is MTH with DCS. If you are not planning on running any MTH engines, then you may wish to use TMCC. If you are planning on running MTH engines or convention engines with Command engines at the same time on the same track, then I would say DCS it best.

DCS with the Lionel TMCC command base can run all engines, MTH command and conventional, any conventional engine by any mfg, and any TMCC command controlled engine.

I have a lot of MTH engines so I use DCS.
  7. Chief Eagles

Tom is right on there. He got me to go DCS and then I added the TMCC Command Module. I can run them all.
  8. BNSFtheLeader

BNSFtheLeader Member

Thanks! Chief, I will take that into account when deffening my layout.

Any other pointers that I should be aware of before I dissemble my trackage this is becoming interresting?

I set my track dirrectly on 3/4" truepan ultra-lite Board.

Thanks for your time.
    Joshua.
  9. Chief Eagles

Buckeye can post some pictures of his construction. He used 3 inches of foam and no board. Works great. Probably underlay the whole table with the foam. Makes it easy to cut out rivers and etc too. I'll contact Buckeye and see if he can post some pictures. Will give you some ideas.
  10. BNSFtheLeader

BNSFtheLeader Member

I'm still prety new to the O scale game so I don't know how this works, In N Scale you have to buy Decoaders is this the same for O?

This is what me and my uncle have in O Scale,

Weaver Gold edition GN U25B
    Williams GP7 GN A-B Units
    Williams GP-38 SF
    MTH F3 A-B

Thanks for all of your help.
    Sincerly,
    Joshua
  11. Buckeye........

Buckeye........ Member

Yes, my whole O Gage Layout is built on foam. Two inches of the high density with one inch of the white on top. After paying so much money for a great engine with sound I did not want to hear just track noise. Guess what! I don't hear track noise. I hear the chug of the steam or the roar of the diesel. The 1x2 are spaced a max of 16" apart. The outer 1x6 are only for athetics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is what it looks like finished.

[​IMG]