New to list

castlerock

Dec 31, 2003
New Lisbon Wi
Visit site
Hi to all and Happy New Year to all. I am just getting back into HO after years of of being out. I have worked for the C&O in the 70's as a Brakeman out of chicago. I am going to model the C&O around Chicago but not to a real scale of any type. Are there any C&O or Chessie modelers here. I am looking into DCC now for the new setup. Any help? Also is there any Model railroaders out of the center of Wisconsin on the list. Thanks Castlerock

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hello and welcome to the gauge Castlerock. Happy new year to you also. You will have lots of fun on this forum.
Shamus

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, you'll find lots of knowledgeable and kind people here.

Concerning DCC. The two largest systems in North America are Digitrax (the largest) and Lenz (also known as Atlas). Either will work well for you, are expandable and extensive in what they can do. The future is DCC which are really computers as decoders in the engines to transmit and receive are also mini-computers. Since computer chips are showing up in just about everything now, from refrigerators to cameras to cars to cell phones, it is only natural they be incorporated into the modern layout.

If you start in DCC you will save yourself some money as you won't have purchased unnecessary equipment to block run in DC.

By the way folks, I didn't know this, but Kato supplies some limited number of parts to the Digitrax Zephyr system. So in Japan, if you go to buy a Zephyr DCC system, it says Kato on it and not Digitrax.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Welcome to the gauge Castlerock and Happy New Yew years to you..
I also worked on the C&O under the Chessie banner from 78-84 out of Russell Ky.Please note the road names under my moniker
below..:D

I use Digi Traxx DCC with Sound Traxx plug and play dcc/sound decoders and use the UT2 throttles..I model the C&O in 65/66 and the Chessie(c&o) in the 78/79..My C&HV is a short line that runs on the old C&O Athens sub-division with a twist.It goes to Parkersburg WVa and has branch lines to Jackson and Newark.Of course this is in Ohio.The era is 78/79.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Welcome Castlerock!

I grew up next the former B&O Philadelphia Subdivision so I remember seeing C&O units and later Chessie units roll by the house. My modeling includes both C&O and Chessie as I model a fictitious line that interchanges with the Philly Sub.