New to G

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by oldtanker, Feb 15, 2007.

1. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Hi, I have been in and out of HO for years and have started my first serious layout. I want to start a garden railroad this spring and have been looking at starter set in the 150 to 300 price range.

Any suggestions on what I should look for or avoid?

Rick
  2. Seaboard

Seaboard Member

G scale is the top dollar of the group and is the coolest scale to model. I have a couple G scale locos in my possession. There are some things you should avoid in modeling G scale: Don't use Bachman steel track, it rusts real easy, and is very expensive. Use the Aristocraft Brass track. It is the cheapest and the most realiable. Be sure to keep the engines clean to. to much dirt built up will slow the unit down a bit. Alot of G scale engines are rain proof but check to be sure. announce1 Keep well maintained, Definantly!! They cost alot just to replace. Hope this helps:thumb:
  3. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

About the only thing I've seen in the $150 to $300 range for starter sets are from Bachmann. Most G scales will cost you a few bills just for the locomotives. These barrel kits from Heartland Locomotive Works look interesting and run about $195. You have to supply your own barrel though.
  4. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Ok, cool. We (she is as excited as me!) want something that we and our kids/grand kids can enjoy. We talked it over today after my fisrt copy of Garden Railroard came today. She will win, she wants to start with the Bachmann circus train. In fact we will order it the 1st. I knew about the track issues and will buy the Aristocraft as suggested to expand and replace as needed. Was planning on bringing in the engines when not being used. When we expand I will buy locos and rolling stock that I like.....i can see Geeps in my future and maybe another steamer for her!

Thanks

Rick
  5. Seaboard

Seaboard Member

Sounds like something only a modeler could absolutely dream about:D
    Hope it goes well Rick!:)
  6. Seaboard

Seaboard Member

7. Seaboard

Seaboard Member

8. Seaboard

Seaboard Member

Sorry Guys I don't know why it keeps posting like that:confused:
  9. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Thnaks Sean.

Rick
  10. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

I've read some bad reviews of the Bachmann starter sets in G scale. There is a company that makes remotoring/upgrade kits for the Bachmann ten wheeler loco's that come in the starter sets but it costs more than the set. Have you thought about 1:20.3 narrow gauge? There is some really nice(expensive) stuff there. Here in Montana, outdoor railroading isn't very big, due to the weather extremes. I would suspect you might have the same problem in Minnesota. The whole railroad could disappear in the spring thaw.
  11. Cannonball

Nothing like a mudslide or a flood to add to the realism....
    :D
  12. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Jim true but I want to try. I figure that if needed i can always go over to concrete roadbed. The area we plan to put it in is very flat but does catch some runoff from the hay field. So I may have to think about dikes to divert some water flow issues.

Cannonball.....no....aint going to do itsign1

Rick
  13. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I'm not much into the outsdie train thing but I saw something cool last week. Someone had a powered snow blower being pushed by a big diesel and it was clearing snow off the tracks. I forget where I saw the photographs. That was cool for a model train.

The only thing I couldn't understand was why doesn't everything just short out.
  14. Cannonball

Battery powered, maybe?
  15. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

was it a deisel or steam,ive seen some live steam G scale locos with some SERIOUS power!ive also seen deisels with batterys in them but they run out real quick.
  16. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Here in Mn i may have to look into the snowblower!!!!

Rick
  17. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

why dont you look into O guage garden trains,,,, i been comparing O and G, and you get more bang for your buck with O. use the atlas O outside track. im going with O as all i will need to buy is the track, i got engines and rolling stock.
  18. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

Hi Rick,

I'm not into G scale but my volunteer job right now at the TCA museum is puting all the USA Trains catalog items into spread sheet format. I was amazed at the variety of items that they offer. I think they are one of the more expensive vendors in G, but they sure have some nice looking stuff in the catalog & I have seen some of their items at York. I am not sure I would rush into buying Bachmann, I also have heard of quality problems with their G stuff. Maybe check on one of the Garden RR forums.
  19. lkydvl

lkydvl New Member

Buy the Anniversary Locos if you are looking for more detail and metal siderods. The current production Big Haulers and the Annies ALL have the same drive me chanism. Its darn near bullet proof. Older onse had issues hence the "version 5" current chassis. They are 1:22.5. The Connie, Shay, Heisler and Climax are 1:20.3. Some of them have had issues but all are correctible. Drop me a line if I can be of more help. We are in Minnesota too! Just about straight south of you as I recall.

Andre'
  20. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Ozzy I want the larger ones, they are a bit more impressive.

John I've talked to guys on a couple of different forums and the general thought is the Bachmann trains are not the problem, it's the track.

Andre, keep in mind that there will be small gand kids around, the better the detail the more they can break!

Rick