New to Air Brushing

mrazz

Jun 26, 2008
Hi

Can anyone tell me the best way to measure accurate ratios of paint and thinner for use in an air brush? First time using one, not sure how to accurately measure paint. Any tool or technique suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Mark

N

nachoman

I have heard of people using some kind of transfer pipettes, and other people using syringe-type devices. I have never used either for paint, but I had to use a graduated syringe type tool for administering medicie to my cat, and thought it would work excellent for measuring paint.

You can pick up either from medical supply places, and I think I have seen transfer pipettes at the hobby shop near the paint. They look like a plastic cylinder-bulb with a straw attatched.

Kevin

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Charlie's right -follow the manufacturer's suggestions for thinning, and do it "by eye". I also prefer Floquil and generally find 50/50 works well, but so does 40/60 or 60/40. ;):p:-D:-D For weathering, I use as much as 90% thinner, depending on the effect I want.

I have used syringes for measuring water-based paints, but lacquer-based paints such as Floquil will attack the rubber-like material on the end of the plunger, causing it to swell even before you can squeeze out the paint. wall1:-D Too much trouble even for water-based paints, though, as it just means more stuff to clean. :rolleyes:

Wayne

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
I keep a couple of small empty bottles handy that have marks on the side for 50/50, 60/40 and so forth. I use them to pour and mix, then transfer the mix. Cleaning the small bottle afterwards is worth the tiny amount of time it takes.