New Titanic from Sir Currell - Beta Report

Bengt F

New Titanic Model by Ralph Currell

Thanks, Gerardo,

I´ll try to stay 'on board' for at least a week . . .
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

all the best,
Bengt :D

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Everyone!:)

Gerardo, of course you can use whatever feeble ramblings I post on this forum...surey they are not any great pearls of wisdom, just things I picked up over the years from various places written by some very talented folks. It's amazing the stuff you pick up over the years...it's even more amazing I can remember any of it.:roll:

I thought you all might find this web page interesting on the topic of colors for Titanic:
http://titanic-model.com/articles/paints/

A pretty nice write-up about the color scheme, which I hope you find as interesting as I did...if you didn't already know about it.

I decided I will darken some of the colors a bit on my version; after looking it over and reading the other posts, I think the hull and funnels need to be darkened a tad, even giving some allowance for scale appearance. Now I just have to print out the sheets and get to it! (I want to finish my FG Nieuport first, however, and another model I had started a while back but then put aside...no, not the Constitution, I'm still working on her, just haven't gotten to the point I can resume actual model work on her yet).

I will post photos once she begins, as I truly hope others will do with their builds. Once again, thank you, Sir Currell, this is an excellent ship design of a very interesting subject, and something I hope you will expand to other ship models of the same genre...with the exception of Titanic, this transatlantic passenger ship genre seems to be rarely modeled although there are many prime candidates for a model out there...sure, JSC has quite a few, but there are quite a few other ships of note out there that have not been models in card...and what about those paddle wheeler types that opened the door to steam powered ocean travel? Loving the smaller, micro scales, I would love to see more of this type available. Greedy lot, aren't we?:grin:

Cheers!
Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Everyone!:)

Gerardo, of course you can use whatever feeble ramblings I post on this forum...surey they are not any great pearls of wisdom, just things I picked up over the years from various places written by some very talented folks. It's amazing the stuff you pick up over the years...it's even more amazing I can remember any of it.:roll:

I thought you all might find this web page interesting on the topic of colors for Titanic:
http://titanic-model.com/articles/paints/

A pretty nice write-up about the color scheme, which I hope you find as interesting as I did...if you didn't already know about it.

I decided I will darken some of the colors a bit on my version; after looking it over and reading the other posts, I think the hull and funnels need to be darkened a tad, even giving some allowance for scale appearance. Now I just have to print out the sheets and get to it! (I want to finish my FG Nieuport first, however, and another model I had started a while back but then put aside...no, not the Constitution, I'm still working on her, just haven't gotten to the point I can resume actual model work on her yet).

I will post photos once she begins, as I truly hope others will do with their builds. Once again, thank you, Sir Currell, this is an excellent ship design of a very interesting subject, and something I hope you will expand to other ship models of the same genre...with the exception of Titanic, this transatlantic passenger ship genre seems to be rarely modeled although there are many prime candidates for a model out there...sure, JSC has quite a few, but there are quite a few other ships of note out there that have not been models in card...and what about those paddle wheeler types that opened the door to steam powered ocean travel? Loving the smaller, micro scales, I would love to see more of this type available. Greedy lot, aren't we?:grin:

Cheers!
Jim

Bengt F

Color Schemes for The 'RMS Titatnic'

Hi Jim,

Yes, I have also discovered that this site is a gold mine for 'all things Titanic' - especially the recommendations for scale modelers.
They provide CDs with detailed blueprints and plans of the entire ship and discuss the colors of the different parts of the ship.
However, it seems as though the page you linked is down for the moment- it´s being "overhauled"!

I find the ongoing discussion about the dark yellow-brown "White Star Buff" color of the lower part of the funnels on Titanic especially interesting. It seems many card model makers print this color much too bright and too light yellow (for example JSC and Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen). The proper color should possibly have a little red and brown in it, keeping the saturation low for a realistic rendering. There seems to be a consensus in the fact that the hull was a very dark brown-grey, almost black. The promenade decks were made out of pinewood, which is actually quite a bright nuance, except the forward well deck around the large cargo hatches, which seems to have been somewhat darker.

Best,

Bengt F

Color Schemes for The 'RMS Titatnic'

Hi Jim,

Yes, I have also discovered that this site is a gold mine for 'all things Titanic' - especially the recommendations for scale modelers.
They provide CDs with detailed blueprints and plans of the entire ship and discuss the colors of the different parts of the ship.
However, it seems as though the page you linked is down for the moment- it´s being "overhauled"!

I find the ongoing discussion about the dark yellow-brown "White Star Buff" color of the lower part of the funnels on Titanic especially interesting. It seems many card model makers print this color much too bright and too light yellow (for example JSC and Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen). The proper color should possibly have a little red and brown in it, keeping the saturation low for a realistic rendering. There seems to be a consensus in the fact that the hull was a very dark brown-grey, almost black. The promenade decks were made out of pinewood, which is actually quite a bright nuance, except the forward well deck around the large cargo hatches, which seems to have been somewhat darker.

Best,

milenio3

I found out that even between computer screens and printer brands, the colors differ when you want to find a match for your model.

Well, as the old saying goes, "if valuable things were made easy, anyone could make them."

I believe Ralph went into a great deal of research when preparing this model, mostly because of the scale.

milenio3

I found out that even between computer screens and printer brands, the colors differ when you want to find a match for your model.

Well, as the old saying goes, "if valuable things were made easy, anyone could make them."

I believe Ralph went into a great deal of research when preparing this model, mostly because of the scale.

Bengt F

"Make a Titanic Model"- Simple Wreck Model Modified

Hi Gerardo and all Titanic builders,

This thread is Gerardo´s and it is devoted to the wonderful new 'RMS Titanic' card model by Ralph Currell, of which Gerardo have made the marvellous first 'beta' build.
I am just following up on one of my former posts here; I wanted to 'upgrade' and modify the very simple wedge- or cheese-shaped blue wreck model from the "Make A Titanic Model" set a bit, so I decided to make a 'sketch' model first, which I just threw together very quickly.

First, I changed the overall dark blue color towards a more believable dark 'rust' brown-red color. Next, I made the forecastle/bow section gently rounded (see part just below wreck model, to the left), instead of the straight lines of the original model.
Having assembled this first 'try-out model', I realized that the back/mid section of the ship had to be lowered considerably, so it can 'rest' with all it´s weight on the North Atlantic sea bed. So, I folded in some more paper on each side to make it level with the base. I added just a little bit of the railing on the bow, the bow crane, the mast with crow´s nest, a little wheel on top of the boat deck, and so on, to see how much detail should be needed. I also opened up the crack, which splits the huge bow section in two, and bent the back side plates a bit outwards. This is how 'she' came out:

TitanicWreckModel.jpg

Having 'lived' with, and banged around this 'sketch' model for a couple of days, I realized that something important was missing. I had seen a video from the finding of the wreck by Ballard in 1985, and one of the vital details of the real wreck are the millions of 'rusticles' that are 'pouring' down the sides of the 90 year old wreck. So, I first added a faint tone of hull black and bottom hull dark red color and then started to clone winding 'rusticles' in Photoshop, working my way from the lighter color down toward the somewhat darker hull sides or black window holes. The result, after about two days of 'rusticle cloning', can be seen above.

Next, I will rearrange the anchor chains and capstans of the forecastle and make them as 3-D parts. I will apply the same approach to all the open hatches and cargo holds. I will probably also build a couple of well deck cranes, open up the promenades, etc, etc . . .
I guess Ralph´s wonderful model will have to wait a couple of weeks more - this is much too exciting to give up now . . .

By the way, the small model on the lower right in the picture is a very simple (and un-painted) plastic model, in 1:800 scale, that was released after John Cameron´s "Titanic" movie - it isn´t even glued together, it falls apart everytime I touch it. It is there for reference; the wreck is the part of the ship from the bow to the second funnel. Just holes remain from the two forward funnels. The hole in between them is the pit where the 1st class 'grand staircase' was, with it´s glass window roof.

All the best,

milenio3

Compadre Bengt. Great work you are doing on the recolor. I guess that you will have to date your model, as - you know - the Titanic in the bottom of the Atlantic is changing by the hour... colors, rusticles, degradation levels... At least, that's what I read on the Titanic Exhibition on a local museum back in December.

Anyway, though I began this thread for Mr. Currell's Titanic, bring on yours. I have also on the workbench another copy but enlarged a little. More to come.