New Titanic from Sir Currell - Beta Report

Clashster

Beautiful build, Gerardo! I didn't realize the scale until you put the cube in the pic! Wow! Awesome! At a loss for words!

Chris

milenio3

Thank you all for your kind words, all of you following this thread, thank you.

The good news is that Ralph wants to release this beauty TONIGHT Thursday 4/5/2007 or TOMORROW Friday 4/6/2007.

BE READY TO DOWNLOAD!!!! :twisted:​

milenio3

Sorry, I didn't specify:

Tonight on this side of the waters (Atlantic), so it would be early in the morning on the Great Lands (Euroasiatic-African) and Australia.

Had to check again our World Map.

A question....Looking forward to downloading this model, but as a sidebar, is that cube available? I've looked in places I thought it *might* be. Can't find it. Thanks....Eric

R

rickstef

Eric, check the Parts Bin, Tools section, LOADS of cubes to be had

Rick

milenio3

Friends,

I hope you get the Titanic soon.

I'm off for a very well deserved vacation period.

Best Regards.

Bengt F

'RMS Titanic' Model 1:200 Scale by Ralph Currell for Download!

It´s available in 'the old countries' as well!

I´ve got my PDF´s - they are beautiful. Three hearty cheers and huzzahs and a BIG thank you to Ralph Currell for this beautiful model!!!

The parts pages calls for really large size printing papers.
The hull of the ship is, in my opinion, a bit to lightly coloured - I think I´ll try to darken it just a tad, towards a dark gray-black. Otherwise, it´s beautiful.

'Titanic'-builders - check out this little computer masterpiece: a Titanic ´tourof the decks' simulation, with contemporary music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVw0t08gOMc&mode=related&search=
I found this as I followed the link provided by Ralph Currell to the three short YouTube videos on 'RMS Titanic´s' sister ship, the long-lasting 'RMS Olympic', which actually was the first of the two giants to leave the construction dock at Harland & Wolf in Belfast. The third in the same class, the 'Britannic', was also built at Harland & Wolf but never served as a pasenger ship. She became a hospital ship in 1916 and finally foundered in the Aegean Sea, when she struck a mine.

There is also a sinking simulation, with a rather different and personal approach to the very sinking moments. The propellers are also turning, in spite of the fact that the boilers had since long stopped and were cold. Still, it´s fun to watch.

Good luck with your builds and many thanks again, Ralph!
Bengt :smile:

Lex

Dollmaker
Got mine as well. A big thanks to Sir Currell -- And Gerardo as well, for this beautiful build!

I downloaded a copy of the Titanic a while ago. It even comes with a display base! Also, the instructions are absolutely top-notch! Thank you, Ralph Currell!!!:grin: I have a computer program called "James Cameron's Titanic Explorer" which has a great wealth of info on this ship; lots of virtual tours, videos, pics, etc. Very informative and fun. If you are interested in the story of the sinking of the Titanic you should read A Night to Remember by Walter Lord.

Jim Krauzlis

Wowwie wow wow!:grin:

I've got mine now as well! Beautifully done graphics, and he even provided a display base...but no ice berg.:twisted: I really like the way he did the water graphics for the base. He has used a nice, dark ocean color for the North Atlantic waters, and used a bit of artistic magic to impart the appearance of the wake of the vessel, especially the curning waters astern of the screws. It nicely portrays a flattened sea with an appropriate amount of wake at the bow, and the secondary wakes from midships and at the stern, just as in real life...very well done, Sir Currell!:) You can almost feel the false sense of serenity as the massive ship steams proudly along in deceptively fair seas, scant moments before her tragic encounter with the fateful ice berg.

Bengt, I see what you say about the seemingly lighter color of the original...I had the same thought about darkening her a bit but before I do I thought I might comment about color and scale.

I'm sure you know that one school of thought in modeling, which is very common in particular to "micro miniatures", attempts to consider aspects of the finished model so as to incorporate what I like to refer to "real life appearance." What this means, in essence, is the model is built so that it takes on the appearance as it actually appears in real life. This concept incorporates a lot of tricks that the modeler uses to show the model and it's details which, while not exactly build as the original, when viewed by the casual observer takes on the actual appearance of the model. One such example is to build details that, while not entirely 100% built like on the original, when viewed seem to replicate the original. On sailing ships this might be how one makes the shrouds, deadeyes and lanyard assemblies. It would be almost impossible to actually rig lanyards on deadeyes, with their little holes, as in the original, but gluing the lanyard so as to "appear" to be rigged into the deadeyes gives, for all intents and purposes, the same look as on the original. The same is true of deck bollards, which are very difficult to build at this scale, but a well done printed version looks just as authentic when viewed by the casual observer, even if only in 2D.

As to the color of the model, when one views an object from a distance, as you are apparently doing with a 1/1200 scale version of the Titanic, some modelers impart a bit of faded color to the finished model so that it looks less vibrant. The concept is based on the premise that if one views a ship up close, the colors are more vibrant than when viewed from a distance...presumably caused in part by the atmospheric effect when seeing objects off in the distance. It's actually a bit of an art to impart this to a model, some modelers use a dull wash to lessen the tone of the finished model, and when you see the finished piece, with it's slightly faded colors, it would arguably look more like it would in real life. So, looking at the black hull of Titanic from a distance, it would actually appear to be a very, very dark grey, not the deep black as when viewed up close.

Sir Currell, obviously being an extremely talented artist as well as a master modeler and model designer, probably had this in mind when he decided upon the color of the hull, as well as the funnels, etc. They are not vibrant in appearance on the printed model sheets, but probably wouldn't be vibrant when seen from a distance in actual life as well. It's a matter of artistic license in deciding how faded one makes the colors to provide the "viewed from a distance" effect. In looking at the parts as they are presently colored, I'm not sure whether making it slightly darker would be better or not...it's all a matter of personal taste. As it is presently colored it does look extremely real, as Gerardo's excellent build shows us, so I might just leave things well enough alone. You would want to be consistent, however, when adding parts to the model, such as the masts, to be sure they are equally muted in appearance with the rest of the model otherwise the more vibrant parts might seen out of place.

Just thought I would express my rambling musings this fine Friday morning as I bask in my excitement of seeing this beauty made generously available to us by our dear Sir Currell. I know it doesn't have to be mentioned but I would humbly suggest that those who do build this model might consider sending Ralph photos of your finished model, as well as sharing photos here in this thread, and let him know how much we appreciate his having designed such a awesome model...it might help convince him to tackle other ships from this golden era of passenger ships.:twisted:

Cheers!
Jim

Bengt F

Building the 'RMS Titanic'

Thanks, Jim,

That is an excellent idea! I am sure that Ralph Currell would like to add some fine model pictures to his already impressive gallery of models.

Not that I ever get anything done . . .
Bengt :D

Bengt F

'RMS Titanic' Sinking Simulation!

Folks!

Imagine that you are inside the 'RMS Titanic' on the quiet and cold starry night of her maiden voyage, waiting for that last Martini, being poured for you by one of the first class bartenders, before going to bed - then disaster strikes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vndq94gToYo&mode=related&search=

That´s it, your last drink . . .

Edited in: Try not to look at the Titanic 'sequel' film video, though - THAT´S a real disaster, if I ever saw one . . .

lairdre

Titanic 1:200

A number of years ago I picked up the Taschen 1:200 Titanic paper model. I have never cut out the parts. The copyright is 1993. This was a rare find in the US at the time, long before Internet resurgance of paper modeling. Did anyone ever build this monster? It is 53 in, or 135cm in size. Does anyone know if it is still in print?

Ron,

I've got the model you're speaking of. It's in my stash. I've not started it yet, but I've seen pictures of a few finished, and it's pretty good.

I don't think it's in print anymore, but I've seen a copy pop up on ebay from time to time.

Almost forgot my manners....Gerado, THANKS! for the beustiful build pictures. Enjoyed the thread and all the comments.

rickstef, THANKS! for the pointer. Didn't think of *tools*. A cube *may* be my first *build*. Looks simple enough. Nothing complicated (I hope <G>).

Gotta admit, this is a *Great* and *Friendly* website. To ALL, THANKS!!!! Eric

Forgot to add a THANKS! to Sir Currell for such good and free models. I can't imagine all the work that goes into designing these models, and then just to *give* them away. Also a nod and a THANKS! to TWE as well.....

Bengt F

Taschen Titanic Model Book

lairdre,

I think this Taschen book is still in print - I got a copy only last year from Amazon Books, and I think there might still be a few around (used).