New Titanic from Sir Currell - Beta Report

milenio3

Hans & Darwin, yes it is waterline. And I see that this can be used to create an innovative base.

I've been seeing photos of past shows in Germany, and they make great water-like bases. I want to make something similar... who knows, maybe an iceberg can be done too.

milenio3

For the aft, this part gives the ship a good perspective of the model.

DSCN0766.jpg

Remember this is a beta, so the build is not 101% clean. You can see here that the hull must align with the forecastle (look mom, I'm learning ship-language!).

milenio3

And on the poop deck, the aft bridge is already placed. These parts are very detailed, and with careful scoring, it turns out pretty.

DSCN0767.jpg

Clashster

Very cool, Gerardo! Looking very good... Now I also find myself looking for your writing on the inside - kind of a "where's waldo" for paper models!

Chris

Bengt F

"RMS Titanic" Model 1:200 Scale from Ralph Currell

Hola, compadre!

This really is great news! Ralph Currell is an excellent designer of advanced card models of the highest precision and appearance.
What an honour to be chosen to do the Beta build - but then, you are widely known these days for building models at a rapid pace - and very good looking ones, too!

I will closely follow this interesting thread.

Muchas Gracias, Gerardo,
Bengt :smile:

Jim Krauzlis

She's a beauty, Gerardo...I have to keep reminding my self how small this model is.

Hope you are able to do a bit more and treat us to another update soon amidst your very busy modeling schedule.

Cheers!
Jim

milenio3

Thanks for the words, friends (and compadre). Funny thing is, I kept on downloading models, and put them in the "to do" list (oh! and I'm also building one of the Alfonso's AXM Shuttles... uf!)

Anyway, here's the update.

Since I want to show my local model club how a paper ship is made, I left the Titanic as you saw it in the last photograph. Then, last night I went on building a new one. As you can see in the next photo, it's in a different base... I thought it would be better to put the ship diagonally on the base, what do you think?

DSCN0775.jpg

(Chris, my writing is on the other side of the formers, hehe)

milenio3

The Deck in place. In this step, I (again) realized how important is to cut the formers exactly as the instructions and diagrams are, because a little off, and you end up with a curled deck.

DSCN0776.jpg

The deck piece has 8 cut-out slots.

Bengt F

"RMS Titanic" Model 1:200 Scale from Ralph Currell

Jeez, Gerardo,

This model is incredibly small! You have my sincere admiration.
You must have very good eyesight up close (I wish I had).

And you´re building TWO at the same time? . . My goodness! I don´t know a faster builder on the planet. Caramba!

Keep up the good work,
Bengt :smile:

milenio3

Bengt, I've been thinking on your case... the fact that you always explode your models 2 or more times. Well... I think I'll do the same with Sir Ralph Titanic. But I have to go to a print shop capable of do so, and I mean, a good amount of tint to spend on this beauty.

As I mentioned, the details are great for this one, so it should look awesome 2 or 3 times its original size.

Oh, BTW, for modeling I used lenses (2x on each eye).

C

cgutzmer

Boy oh boy! I did not realize the size until I saw that scale cube! Super job on this!
Chris

milenio3

The WoodEngraver would love this model. Last night I went on other parts. It was FUN!!

And to add even more fun, Ralph names every piece of the model.

For example, here's the Smoke room and funnel deckhouse:

DSCN0799.jpg

milenio3

Then I added the Second Class Entrance. It even has the door ceilings (not sure if they are called like that, but they look like that anyway).

DSCN0801.jpg

And on their place:

DSCN0803.jpg

Another

DSCN0804.jpg

milenio3

The building process so far is from stern to bow.

Here's next piece, Tank room and skylights:

Parts:
DSCN0806.jpg

On deck:
DSCN0807.jpg

milenio3

Went on the No.3 funnel deckhouse (shoot, I MUST get myself a book about boats-ships).
Parts:
DSCN0808.jpg

On deck:
DSCN0809.jpg

All these pieces are made of basic cubes and square angle bends.

milenio3

The No. 3 funnel deckhouse has a little "umbrella"... so little, that I had to work with two very pointed tools for that one.

I need also more tools for this kind of construction.

Jim Krauzlis

I wonder when this will be released...I want it!!

Very cool build, Gerardo! Looking great!! (Yeah, I love the small stuff...can you tell?:grin: )

Cheers!
Jim