New Titanic from Sir Currell - Beta Report

milenio3

Aug 25, 2004
Juarez, Mexico
paperjerry.blogspot.com
Dear friends.

I'm proud to announce that Mr. Ralph Currell is about to release his version of the RMS Titanic.

Sir Ralph is planning to release the "production" version by the Titanic's sinking anniversary in April,
but he gave me green light to show to you how it is as today.

This is the beta building report for such a great model.

This are the parts, two pages. At left are the formers laminated on 1mm stock.

DSCN0773.jpg

cjwalas

Nov 28, 2006
Santa Barbara, Ca.
Wow! This is great news! I can actually get my daughter involved in this one! Ralph Currell gets my vote for best performance in a paper model designer!
Chris

David T. Okamura

Jan 30, 2005
On another forum, Ralph mentioned that the model is in 1:1200 scale, just under 9 inches long. I suggested future models of the Olympic and Britannic, so hopefully we'll see the first complete set of the White Star sisters.

Thanks for the pictures of the beta build. I've been patiently waiting for more news on Ralph's latest masterpiece.

milenio3

Aug 25, 2004
Juarez, Mexico
paperjerry.blogspot.com
And here the bow itself. Nice, ain't it?

DSCN0759.jpg

Please note the base of the structure in the photo. Ralph suggests in the preliminary instructions to glue the structure on an optional (and temporary if you want) base, to "keep the frame from wrapping". I used a piece of 2mm stock. I'm seeing that this can be a permanent base for me, that I will prepare to appear like a piece of ocean.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Looks that way, John...I only saw side platings up to the waterline in the first photo. Very nice looking model, and in a micro scale! Yep, I'm excited about this...even more so if what David suggested is going to come to pass, a whole fleet of the White Star Transatlantic liners. Heck, I'm just tickled pink Lord Currell has shifted his attention to a waterborne subject.:grin:

Can't wait to see more of this build...thanks for sharing photos with us, Gerardo!:)

Cheers!
Jim

milenio3

Aug 25, 2004
Juarez, Mexico
paperjerry.blogspot.com
Thanks, Jim. That's right, waterline model for this one.

Hey, the whole Star Liners? WOW! That would be a great collection. Ralph hasn't mention anything, but taking on account his Airships and Concorde's... don't be surprised if not only the Titanic is released, but more of them.

My wife is particularly expectant for this model, since she loves the Titanic and all that comes from it. Being at the Titanic Exhibition back in December when the Titanic Society brought the exhibition to El Paso, TX; man, the whole family was Titanic-fevered (if such a word exists).

milenio3

Aug 25, 2004
Juarez, Mexico
paperjerry.blogspot.com
To prepare the hull surfaces, there are some pieces to glue together. This little pieces are key to form the hull and to put it on the structure. At first, I found it a little difficult, but it works like magic! A little bending in these pieces are necessary.

The photo depicts the starboard hull surface just as the instructions present this (inked side facing down).

DSCN0760.jpg

jparenti

Jun 3, 2006
Vienna, Illinois, USA
This looks like one to watch for! I was a Titanic buff long before James Cameron added his interpretation. :) I may even have to take a couple days off on my 1/48 scale Saturn V.
The Olympic and Britannic wouldn't be difficult, since all three liners were virtually identical. A minor repaint would probably be all it takes.

milenio3

Aug 25, 2004
Juarez, Mexico
paperjerry.blogspot.com
Then comes the fun part... put the hull along the structure frame. The ship takes a very good looking shape.

Here is where I realized that the "optional temporary" base was going to be a permanent one. I had to glue the hull not only on the formers, but also to the waterline, because it kept on deforming. I soon figured out that my method of placing the hulls in the structure was not correct, even when I follow the instructions. It's here that you put your abilities at work. Again, it's a very easy task, but if you are not careful, it won't look much pretty.

So I had to modify two or three times the correct position of the hull, and I choose to glue the whole thing.

Again, it's not a design error, but my mistake and careless (due to my excitement) manipulation.

DSCN0762.jpg

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
An interesting approach to a base platform for the framework....almost a hybrid of traditional egg-crate and JSC frameing methods. Impatiently waiting for this release.