New @ this

Dick Rasmussen

Oct 29, 2004
Twin Bridges, Montana. USA
I,m gonna try building a Steam locomotive from scratch. I have the plans for the "Newbie" from Live Steam magazine. I believe I have the equiptment necessary, vertical mill and engine lathe plus accessories. Can anyone give me some helpful hints? Thanx Dick R. PS Located in So West Montana

kjd

Sep 9, 2004
seattle
Is it live steam? That sounds like a big project. What gauge is it? Keep the water full is all I know about steam...

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Find a live steamer group in your area and talk to them. They should be helpful in finding castings.
Find out what their standards are as far as wheel contours and safety requirements.
The group in our area has standards as such and won't let you run if your loco doesn't comply.

Dick Rasmussen

Oct 29, 2004
Twin Bridges, Montana. USA
Thanx to all for the replys. kjd, @ this point I'm planning on live steam, I'll keep the water full! Live Steamer, Thanx for the website, I hadn't come come across that one yet. Looks like I can get all the support I need from the model RR folks. Thanx Ray, I'm sure there must be a live steamer somewhere in Montana. If not there sure seems to be plenty on the internet. The Live Steam Magazine was very helpful also. Thanx again for the replies.
Dick R.