New Suspension Bridge Diorama

Mike R

Even though not a strictly 'railroad' bridge, I thought the 'bridge fans' might like to see this one. It's a diorama I just finished, featuring a pedestrian suspension bridge, currently being built at Scenic Caves, near Collingwood.

This model will be going into a display at a tourism marketing venue.
It's approximately 87:1, but heavily compressed for length, as the real bridge will be over 400' long.

I had to use wood for the 'cabling', after being unsuccessful in soldering up brass shapes and music wire into the cabling.
best regards / Mike

Attachments

• sceniccaves#1.jpg
    sceniccaves#1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 319

Mike R

Tom;
The basic 'box' was built with 5/8" particle board, all straight edges with 45 degree gusset corners.

The fascia is 1/8" Masonite, freeform jigsawed. I glued my blue styrofoam up to the Masonite edges.
Paint on the Masonite is just Hunter Green craft paint, "Plaid" brand.
Then spraybombed clear acrylic.

thanks everyone for the kind comments.
regards / Mike

ezdays

Out AZ way
Yeah, way to go. I've got plans to scratch-build a couple of bridges for my layout, I just hope I can measure up to work like this. :)

Don

CSX6638

Mike
Thats a great looking bridge, a few HO scale figures walking on it
and one taking photos of the valley at the middle of the bridge would kick your super dioarama up a notch.

Mike R

CSX6638;
Valid points, but there's a couple of reasons why there's no figures on the unit.

The prototype is 410' long, but because my client's display case width was limited, I had to compress the model a lot. It only scales at about 210' long. To partially compensate, I made the 'guardrails' lower [about 120:1.......TT still lives !]

I tried a few LPB's on it when I was done, but to my eye, they made the bridge appear shorter. :eek:

The other reason is that I quoted the client the LPB's as an extra $ item, and there was a bit of "sticker shock". I told them I could always add figures at a later date if they wished.
..thanks again everyone for your kind comments.
regards / Mike
:)

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Very nice Mike, It would be really awesome to see it at the full scale size. Do you know when the real bridge will be built or completed? It will be worth the drive to come and see it. In Souris Manitoba there is a long swing bridge across the river. Real fun to walk across.

Mike R

Robin : Scenic Caves hope to be completed & open by May 24 with the new bridge. If you'd like to email me around then, I will check and confirm.
I will however, be away fishing May 22-26 incl.
Best regards / Mike:D

K.V.Div

Beutifull Bridge and Diorama Mike, The scenery enhances the bridge to make the whole scene very realistic:cool:
Cheers!

Terry