New Real Estate Aquired

DOUBLEJK

After some expensive negotiation I have aquired some additional area for my layout..
biggrin.gif

Now the question is? How best to use it? I've drawn in an around the walls that I think is the most layout area I can obtain in this space.
It can be smaller but not any larger on bench area so if you had this space available what would you do with it to maximize your enjoyment?

1.JPG

It is 14'-8" wide at the top by 19' on the left side.. the isle's are 30" wide in this sketch..
There is an opening to the other side of the basement on the lower right that SWMBOannounce1 wants kept clear...
Oop's that 146" chunk should be 116"...:eek:ops:

Triplex

Looking at your profile, I see you're HO.

The problem will probably be that 4' wide area at lower left. Thought the center peninsula is 5' wide at the end, you can't take advantage of that to increase your minimum radius. You could widen the section at the bottom and shorten the length down the right wall... see what I mean?

Either way, you'll have an access issue with the space at lower left. It'll be too wide to reach, but it'll be definitely needed for a turnback curve. Maybe access from behind mountians or high buildings?

Anyway, I need to know more. Locale? Era? Major elements to include?

Will_annand

I agree with Triplex, 48" in HO means tight curves and is not a pretty sight if you are planning for either passenger service or long modern rolling stock or large steam or even 6-wheel diesels. :(

Now that space would make an amazing N Scale Empire that would alow for long curves and just look awesome. :D

DOUBLEJK

Hey I like that.....:)
My plan is to model the BNSF from the power plant I werk at to the mine...
The real mccoy has reverse loops at the plant and the mine....now how to do it in the space I have with a yard at the mid point to represent Alliance Neb.
but the access issue on the lower left is moot....no wall except on the left ....top n right sides....
that bottom side is wide open for 30 more feet.....could go 5' wide er even maybe 6' on that section....would be sneackin' a foot er 2 SWMBO didn't O.K. but she might not notice it.....It's a brand new home we're just finishin' buildin'....bout 2 -3 weeks n movin' days on me...
now ifin' I could just aquire that 30' too...sign1

Russ Bellinis

You may need to have a section of the layout that requires some sort of duck under to a hatch for access to rerail a train that derails in the back of the bench work. If the track is laid carefully so that it doesn't derail a lot, that shouldn't be a big problem. If you are running broad radius curves in ho scale, that is a 30 inch minimum radius. A turn back curve will take up 5 feet minimum, and there is no way you can reach across a 5 foot table to the back. If it is on a peninsula, you can reach 2 1/2 feet from each side, but if it is in a corner, you will have to make some sort of access hatch in the middle.

DOUBLEJK

As drawn all 4-6' wide sections have access from 2-3 sides....all sections with 1 access are 30" wide er less....the only walls are on the left n the top n the right....this is one end of the new basement.....n nothin's there at all but styrofoam walls which are what we used for the concrete forms....2-1/2" thick with hidden plastic ribs running vertically from footer to top of concrete every 1' that are structurally sound to hang drywall from...
Hope this make's the actual area a bit clearer