New rail checker

Art Lamb

Jan 4, 2001
Plymouth, MA
Visit site
My wife... the better half of the equation told me she has found the best rail checker going. The Kato C44-9W running on the tracks seems to find anything that is wrong. We have found and repaired 3 sections where somehow the rails got pinched just a wee bit.... call it sloppy work, or what ever, but this loco seems to find anyplace you have a problem. So besides looking good and running good it will find all of the nasty surprises on your layout.

Art

Harry

Feb 26, 2001
Art,

Don't quite get what you are implying.
Is that train something special that can find problem for you or it is sensitive and therefore you use it as a reference?

I have certain points in the layout sometimes just mysteriously not conducting current at all. Wondering if you have solution on it.

Harry

Art Lamb

Jan 4, 2001
Plymouth, MA
Visit site
It is very sensitive to finding any problems you may have in your layout. Once you get this loco running good on a layout I doubt that you will have any more derails or the like.

This loco has made running our layout a charm. We fixed 2-3 places on the layout and now things are really so much better for everything. I have found Atlas locos to be more forgiving of track problems, but the cars trailing them might not be.

If you have electrical problems let Catt know... he is great at helping to find those little electric gremlins. He has good advice on how and why to wire things.
Art

Cibolo-N

Apr 3, 2001
Visit site
I had a rail joint on a curved section of flex track that the -9s didn't like. Two-axle trucks and a 2-10-0 had no problem with it so I don't know if it's any three-axle truck or just the -9s that would push the leading axle off the track.

Lenny53

Dec 20, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Originally posted by grumbeast
I find my Kato PA does this.. the 6 axle trucks so close together are really sensitive at finding kinks and even really slight areas that are out of gauge (usually under 9mm)

Graham
Hi Graham;

I've seen similar problems with the PAs down at my club. No other loco seems to react this way, not the Dash 9s nor the LL or ConCor PAs. They seem to have a lot of difficulty with Peco code 80 switches in particular and I've been wondering if it has something to do with the Kato's design.

Lenny

Dan Crowley

Aug 10, 2003
Canada
home.cablerocket.com
????? Not sure how to take this thread. I pesonally like the loco's that can't find the problems!!!!!!. When the Kato F3 first came out years ago, that is one of the things I loved about them. They seemed to make my trackwork better.

If I need to find track trouble, all I need to do is push an empty flat car around.

Dan