New project,looking for some imput

C

Catt

I just bought this,ain't she sweet?

gvrfp453.jpg

Other than stripping her and repainting for the Grande Valley I can't decide if I want to keep her an FP45 and just remove the steam generating hardware or cut her down to a F45 configuration.

The plus side of keeping her a FP45 is I would use a ATLAS SD60 mech which is Plug&Play.

If I decide on making her her a F45 I will be using a KATO SD45 mech which is not Plug&Play,

I am beginning to wish I had found two of them so I could do one of each configuration. :D

railohio

You didn't take your meds today, didja, John? :D

I'd say keep it a FP45. You can always keep it in dual service, look at the Santa Fe. Try putting a F45 in passenger service, though, and you're going to have some durn irate passengers! :D

SD90

If you use the new Kato SD40 chassis, it is plug and play, and it is exactly the same size as the old SD45 chassis.

Mike.

C

Catt

I've decided that the FP45 will be rebuilt as a F45-3 but retain the FP body unchanged except for removal of the stearm generating equipment.

I have already replaced the rear pilot with one from the donar SD60MI used the stock FP45 front pilot but that is going to be changed to the front pilot from said donar SD60M.Using the SD60 mech makes DCC plug&play though I will most likely end up using a Richmond Controls lighting unit to get the lighting that I want.

I still haven't decided on a colour scheme for the next generation GVR. Anybody got any suggestions?

Charlie ,passenger opps on the GVR are handled by AMTRAK and a to be built yet light reail system.The GVR is shopping for suitable railcars and has given thought to some refurbished PCC cars.Any suggestions from the Gauge crew would be welme. Juist remember this is N scale.:D

Oh yeah the fans will be replaced too.The old Lima fans don't look bad but the KATO SD40 fans look sooo much better.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Catt, could you indicate what the steam generating equipment is so I can picture where the modification will be made?
Thanks!
Ralph

C

Catt

gvrfp454.jpg

In the picture above the steam heating equipment is between the last fan and the backwall of the shell.The trick is going to be to shave it off wuth a chisel blade with out damaging it or the roof.

Most people won't even realize that it has been removed unless they are told.

The more I look at this picture the more I find I want to change. :D

Cinnibar

Keep That Generator

Catt,

The way things are going with the airlines today you had better hang on to that steam generator. ;)

C

Catt

Project update

Here's a couple update pictures showing the front and rear SD60M pilots installed but missing their railings yet.

gvrfp457.jpg

gvrfp458.jpg

She is setting on the second SD60 mech as the first one has developed a highpitched howl.Things to do yet include replacing the fans blanking out the headlights on the cab front and possibly adding freestanding grab irons.

Oh,and of course a paintjob.

C

Catt

Progress report

Thought I'd plop a progress pic in here to let anyone interested see whats going on with the ol girl

gvrfp45d.jpg

Since this pic was taken I have created and installed jacking pads which LIMA kind of forgot to install.