New Project based on the "hrads" (castles)

angelode

Aug 1, 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
My first posting (other than the intro)

I have been studying the Eastern European castles and fortresses for some time and am starting my own project on the side.
I have attached some drawings and a very rough and quick paste up of the castle just in outlines to see if it had potential and I think it does. There are 2 or 3 areas to fix up, but it is starting to look good, I am now in the process of adding color to the original images. Once that is complete, I will be scanning and working out the exact dimensions.
Attached are the original drawing and some of the colored walls to give you an idea. I have also attached some images.
I would really be interested in what you guys think of it.
Cheers

Attachments

• OriginalDesign.jpg
    OriginalDesign.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 22
  • plan.jpg
    plan.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 18
  • First-Draft.jpg
    First-Draft.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 22
  • OutfrontWall.jpg
    OutfrontWall.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 22
  • outbackWall.jpg
    outbackWall.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 20

Chris74

Jun 3, 2010
Romania
It's an interesting idea, I like it. I have to see the result, good luck with the project. I wonder if it would be a good suggestion to try ti put some LEDs inside the castle (of course, this would require thick card and warm white light, to resemble the medieval fire sources of light), but I guess it would be a little too complicated.
Good luck, I have to see the result!

silveroxide

Aug 22, 2007
Fayetteville NC
Very interesting and coincidental that you would be interested in castle construction. One of my grandsons asked me to help design (ME design) a castle for him and I went off a tangent and started to make one for him.. It will be generic and modular, so it will not be based on any existing castles but it will be great for table top gaming. So far it has been coming out pretty good. I will look on to your build for further inspiration. here is one sheet for the the main gate and portcullis. Once I do a build sequence for it I will upload the sections as I design them. Looking forward to more of your work and sorry for temporary hijacking your thread, it is just remarkable that we are tracking in the same direction. See you around the forum.:thumb:

Attachments

• gate.jpg
    gate.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 21

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
This is going to be excellent! Carry on, please, and let the updates and pics coming. I too have the plan to re-create the old churches of my home town (I'm still looking for exact blueprints). Really interesting project.

angelode

Aug 1, 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
Wow, thanks so much for the feedback. I like the idea of making a version that can take LEDs, but first I need to complete this to a workable standard. Now that I have posted that I will finish it, I have no choice but to get busy doing it. Thanks for your post Silveroxide, your castle design looks really awesome and is very inspiring to me.
Last year I designed and built an Inn using only filters and effects available in Adobe Illustrator and exhibited it at an expo to show the versatility of the program, since it is one that I teach where I work. Attached are some images of the Inn that I took recently. The design is my own and the textures worked out well. Although, after a year, it seems to be warping slightly.

Attachments

• YoobeeHouse1.jpg
    YoobeeHouse1.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 19
  • YoobeeHouse2.jpg
    YoobeeHouse2.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 25

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Angelode,
Just beautiful, from inception, through completion. You truly are an artist. Your ability to see the three dimensions and extract them from a 2 dimension picture is a gift. Your coloring confirms you artistic ability. You also a a great craftsman. This was one inspirational thread. A lot of stuff in such a small thread. Please, would you indulge us with more pictures of the process, just click as your going along. Those are the best kind. Beautiful!! :)

angelode

Aug 1, 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks Zathros and Rogerio for the amazing feedback. It feels good to be appreciated. I will keep the camera clicking as I go along with this project. I have known about Papermau for some time now and been a regular to his website, but I feel pretty much in awe to find that he's a member here. Thanks again.
On a separate note, I was thinking of starting a thread on papercraft tools, their uses and availability. Unless you already have one. If you do and I am late with this idea, could you guide me there and if not, where would be the appropriate place for this thread?