New power on the Ballantyne branch

Herc Driver

Just rolled out of Davidson's Repair...looks like a Maryland Midland GP38-2 but they're keeping it under wraps for now...got these pictures before they took it back into the facility. Several LPP saw me snap the pictures and were clearly not pleased. The official word is the public unveiling is tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some better pictures and post them.

Attachments

• Copy of P3260173.JPG
    Copy of P3260173.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 127
  • Copy of P3260169.JPG
    Copy of P3260169.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 128

UP SD40-2

Herc:wave:, NICE GP38-2!:thumb: THANKS for posting the pre-unveiling shots!;) i cant wait to see the "official" shots when they come out:thumb:. :D -Deano

zachary

hey herc driver awsome loco i really like your layout i went to the little choo choo shop in spencer and also the musem i thougt the hobby shop was the best trains only hobby shop ive ever been to by for now zachary

doctorwayne

Herc Driver said:
Several LPP saw me snap the pictures and were clearly not pleased.

Don't let them scare you! Tell 'em if they get outa line, you'll glue 'em to the layout; permanently!! ;)

Neat photos, I'm looking forward to the official unveiling. :thumb:

Wayne

cnw1961

Glad that you could take these shots. Makes me really looking forward to the official announcement and photos. (Herc, nice idea and very, very good shots :thumb: :thumb: ).

Herc Driver

Finally...some good pictures

Drank about a pot of coffee sitting in the truck waiting for this Geep to roll out, but just before sun up, it slowly growled to life and moved out. Coming out of Davidson's Repair, you could see they paid extra attention to this one. It a GP-38AC with one very memorable paint job of Maryland Midland. I'm hoping this one stays around here while crews run it through the pre-buy. I followed it around perimiter road, behind the old factory, then to the church where the road ends. It stopped just short of Coverall's crossing and the engineer waved me onto the tracks so I could snap a few pictures. He was smiling ear to ear - I think they were pretty pleased with the way this one turned out. It looked like the others in the cab gave him a hard time for letting me get nose to nose with his Geep, but he won't have to worry, I had already asked the morning shift LPP foreman for permission to follow its route and take pictures. Fortunately, the morning 1st shift guy was easier to deal with than the 3rd shift LPP last night. All in all it was a pretty good shoot.

Attachments

• Copy of P3270241.JPG
    Copy of P3270241.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Copy of P3270228.JPG
    Copy of P3270228.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Copy of P3270235.JPG
    Copy of P3270235.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Copy of P3270233.JPG
    Copy of P3270233.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 87

MadCoW1

Herc,

Outstanding thread. That is one nice geep. I love the paint, incredible work. A big ATTABOY for you!!

Johnny

doctorwayne

Nice paint job, Herc, and great photos, too.:thumb: :thumb: What's the significance of the "1" below the cab number?

Wayne

Herc Driver

That "1" is actually a lightning bolt and the words, "Radio Equipped" at each and of the bolt. The overall detailing on this Atlas product is really well done. The paint color is right on the money when compared to pictures of the actual units. The only shortfall are the MU hoses, levers, grab irons, which are all modeled into the body shell. I plan on removing the existing hoses and adding BLMA hoses as soon as possible and routing them through the snow plow openings like MM's 302 runs everyday. I'll add grab irons and other details as I'm able. It will be slightly weathered since my prototypical picture is of this unit with a few others fresh out of the paint shop and gleaming.

Thanks to all for taking a look at my latest roster addition. I love the big RR's of today, but am growing more and more interested in the regionals, shortlines and specialty roads that get far less attention from the model manufacturers. It's interesting to run something that most of us don't see everyday. This Maryland Midland was a special production run requested by M.B.Klein out of Baltimore. I don't know how many were produced by Atlas, but there's only three left...(and I'm thinking #302 might need #300 to help pull the loads around the layout).

steamhead

Hey Herc...!!

Though not a big diesel fan, them trains is still trains, and that's one gorgeous engine you unveiled...!!! :thumb:

UP SD40-2

OUTSTANDING SHOTS HERC!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: thats one GREAT looking engine;):D. NICE story to go with it to Herc:thumb:. :D -Deano