New plans for TBA (N-Scale)

seanm

Been a long time since I have posted anything here. I had a layout I was building andposted pictures here as I was constructing it.... but I got relocated by my company. I have started over and as we all know, it seems each start over is alittle better from lessons learned etc. Here are the old layout pictures if anyone is intersted.

My modeling style is not prototype perse. I primarily run modern equipment and like yellow so it is mostly UP. I have no real real era though most of what I like is 60's -90's. I want to run trains on a continuous loop as well as switch and model some detailed scenes for photography.

I now have a smallish 2 car garage. How anyone could really fit 2 cars in here unless they were minicoopers I don't know. Space for the layout is roughly 14' x 15'. I don't want to do a two level layout again, but like the around the wall style. I did include some below the track staging since this is a LOOP railroad.

I want this to be a yard centric layout and love the look of my previous curved yard. I re-used the design with some changes. I also want to be able to run passenger trains of some length. I believe I have created a plan that would possibly allow 3 to 4 people to operate if I ever wanted to do that even though I never have.

I will be using DCC and have all the equipment. most of my engines already have decoders. I will be using Atlas code 55 track and switches and am debating how I will control them Saw some great pics of mini DPDT slides to make them manual... but am not sure what I will do there.

Items I really wanted to include:
Large yard (curved)
Engine service (diesel)
Turntable and roundhouse (modernish... maybe just the foundations?)
Car shop / rip track(I really like the Bachmann kit for some reason)
Major passanger terminal
Car wash track
Car float
Interchange *
Staging
Street trackage *
Operation possible but not mandiotory for fun

THE PLAN itself....

I have included all the thing I want inckuded with a couple of exceptions (later). I know a car float is out of era mostly, but I really like the idea and will leave it in. The industried are not fixed in stone yet. Grades need a little work. Max grade I would like is about 1.5 and min observal radius (except industries) is 18" with most being 21" or larger.

Here is what I came up with. (full size)
tbasac4.med.jpg

logicman

Greybeard
Just a quick thought, seanM, for what it's worth. (Probably nothing.):mrgreen:

I'd drop the entire helix under the base and move the roundhouse to roughly the center of the helix. That'd make more room for buildings etc. associated with the roundhouse.
:wave:

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Watch out for extreme temperature swings in the garage. The different temperatures will wreak havoc on your trackwork. I like your plan. It is very similar to a plan I submitted in the N scale department recently...
http://forum.zealot.com/t159263/
You've given me a few ideas.

Triplex

I love that the passenger line crosses over the freight line. A good freight yard design, good switching possibilities.

Russ Bellinis

Sean, where are you in Sunny Ca? If you live near the beach in So Cal where temps see a max of 100 degrees, and minimum of high 40's with the actual temps being between 65 & 80 degrees year 90% of the time, you probably won't see too extreme temp swings in your garage. Just allow for unsoldered rail joiners every few feet around the layout, and slip a business card between the adjoining rail ends to allow for expansion. If you are in the inland areas, you will see more temperature extremes. If you are not going to convert your garage back into a garage, you could remove the door, and make the opening into a wall with a standard walk through door, then finish up the garage with insulation and drywall to eliminate most of the temp swings. I would recommend finishing the inside of your garage before you start bench work anyway because open stud walls allow for a lot of hiding spaces for insects, spiders, etc; and dust and dirt on the layout will be much harder to control!

seanm

Thanks! I appreciate the info.

I am in the Sacramento area. We get down into the 30's sometimes in the winter, but no snow and below freezing only happens a couple of times a year. Summers can be pretty hot. We get up over a hundred frequently. The garage is facing the east, so morning sun then it is OK... so that is good. It is finished inside already, so no studs or bugs.

Expantion gaps seem like a good idea. I guess we shall see.. I suppose it would be possible to get a room air conditioner/heater setup in there if needed. Sure hate that idea though.

On another note, I have changed the plann a little. The grades were a little too much for me, so I added another 2 turn helix on the enterance to staging on the north west side.... Also moved the turn table into the middle area of the south east helix per a suggestion earlier... Getting better all the time. Hopefully I can start construction ain a few weeks.

I have been inventoring my supplies and I think I have enough code 55 turnouts and only need to buy about 2/3 of the track Will need lumber, wire and cork to get me started.

Getting excited!

Russ Bellinis

Yeah Sean, I'm familiar with Sac, my sister lives in the area. Your temps are a bit more extreme than it is down here, but leaving expansion gaps should solve any potential problems.

seanm

I have updated the tackplan in the above message(check it out). A few refinements and soem additional interested. I have made the switching are in the north "OldTown". This should make the car float and pier make more sense. I also added a second 2.5 lap Helix as the grades were steeper then I would like on the north side. I and should be starting benchwork this weekend! (fingers crossed)

seanm

Started cutting wood yesterday!!! I am very excited to get started finally after the move. I will be moving over to the N-Scale section for an ongoing build thread shortly. Stay tuned!!!

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
I really like the Old Town area. It looks like it has real potential. What type of a bridge are you using to span the waterway on the main line near the car float? What did your grades and radius finally turn out to be in the helixes?

seanm

Love questions! It makes me evaluate and confirm my thoughst. Sort of like exposing them to the light of day.

Even though that is a big sweeping curve, it may not end up that way in the end. It may have two straighter sections just near branchline crossing. I see there being a fairly modern, possibly an open truss bridge where the tracks cross and a deck girder for the part just before that... Not sure. I need to look at it.

It is about a 1.5% grade up to the passenger station, most of the rest is pretty flat till the helixes at each end. I am playing with the grade to determine what distance I want between the staging and the main level. The helixes will be 2.5 turn. with a rise of about 6.25 inches. Outside radius is 22 inch and inside is 20.5 inch; If I go with grade seperation of 2.5 inch; railtop to railtop... Gives me an outside grade of 1.8% and 2.0% on the inside track. Inside track will be for going down, outside for going up. There will be close to a 2% grade on the oldtown branch to get it down to the town, but it will only be for short haul trains and the few cars that still come in on the car float.

The idea is that in the old town area I can have older engines and ssuch and they wont look out of place, but up on the main I can have my modern deisels. Also gives me more areas that are different to photograph.

This is making me very excited!
I cut 36 bracing triangles last night. Nothing tonight... to burnt out from work. Going to be using mostly 2x2 wood for suports to an L-girder onstrution with 1x2 joists and birch 1/2 inch ply cookie cutter top supported from the joists. Plywood sections will be but glued together with bisquits... this worked great on the last layout and made a very nice flat surface. I will be using Midwest cork and Atlas c55 flex. Can't wait!!

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
For some reason, everytime I try and envision your layout, I see it at night. Reason I asked about your bridge is because I will also have a big long sweeping curved bridge. I want mine to be an arched stone viaduct looking thing. Trouble is, I think I'm goin'ta have'ta scratch one myself. I wonder if there isn't some way to tap into the lower level staging lines from the dead end end of Old Town to make your layout a little more complex and possibly increase your operations capability.

seanm

The idea of a sneak out to the lower staging has me intrigued! I don't think I could make it at the end of the line in old town past the street trackage as there is no room next to the helix and tapping in in the middle would be messy... but maybe one of the left hand industries could go through a tunnel and down grade to the staging... Hmmmmmmm... Great suggesting. I may try that!

Curved stone bridge... I would go about it by cutting a 1/2inch ply curved road bed and then wrap it with styrene with the arches cut out.. then filll the arch cut outs with more styrene and apply a stone texture. Could look really nice!

seanm

Construction has officially begun! I updated the plan above a little base on a suggestion from Train Nut. It allowed me to do something I really like... Turn right to go left. Love that odd ball track-work stuff.:thumb:

Bench-work is starting to take shape. As soon as I get some pictures I will move this over to the N_Scale area.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
I look forward to seeing your progress! The sneakout from Old Town looks interesting... a little confusing but then I'm guessing you had to snake it around a little to get the elevations and grades to work out. That should make that lower level a little more interesting to work with... especially if you can put some kind of industry there where you can simulate an empties in, full loads out scenario making use of your hidden staging.

seanm

Yep, in order to drop down low enouigh I had to make that big S... but it will be below everythig elas ena deasy to get to. I am using this plan as a guideline and reality check. It will change as I start to build. I see the old town area as a branchline that just barly holds its own. It has a few industeies that are further and unseen (staging)... but there will be no regulars through that area. The new main line bypasses old town and only servises the big boys (refinary and large factory) now.

I should have some pictures this weekend in the N-Scale area. See ya there!