New plan

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I've been wracking my brain over this one, trying to fit in everything I want and still keep the feel of the Toronto and surrounding countryside. Gary has been extremely helpful, and I've incorporated some of his suggestions here.

The switching area on the left is not final - I still need to do a lot more research on actual operations. One challenge was fitting the trolley loop inside the mainline without crossovers. The other was to have the feel of wide open country and wide radius curves for passenger trains (as well as lots of freight of course). There will be a passenger depot in the town of New Hamburg (a real place where my mom grew up), and some industry but not that much. Grain will come in via CP from western Canada to the large concrete grain elevators in Toronto (Canada Malting). Farm implements will go from the Massey Ferguson factory in Toronto to the dealer in New Hamburg.

Other than that I haven't finalized the industries.

Suggestions are most welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
;) Val

Attachments

• layout.jpg
    layout.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 290

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
I can't see much of the track on the RH side - the green background is too dark! Is there a reverse loop there? How do you turn around on the LH side?

(Edited after I woke up a little!)

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Val, I'm a little confused too, it's nice to have the broad curves for passenger trains, but how will you run one? Are you planning to join the ends into a loop somehow?

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
rather than a runaround on the left side, I think you should double track the main all the way around. Run you passenger trains on the outer track and frieght on the inner. I don't know why you can't have the trolly loop crossover the main, adds interest both visually and operationaly.

Gary, Tyson, its a point to point.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Yakko I know it's a point to point, that's why I'm guessing there will be portable or permanent staging on each end to support all the connecting R.R.'s that Val has listed. I wouldn't double track the mainline on a layout this size in HO scale as I feel it would crowd the scenery to much (just my opinion of course) but double track or not you still need a run around track to switch the yard on the left. For that matter I would add a switch to the siding at bottom right so it could be switched from either direction. Other than that Val :D I really do like this track plan. Please keep us posted. :)

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Val,
The plan is fine except that I do think some sort of run-around track is needed on the left side for switching. On the right, I would also try and put in a run-around if only to be able to bring the train back.
Shamus
wink.gif

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi Val,

In case you might consider a longer run for those passenger trains here's a possibility. Expand the right leg to a loop. Your grid shows you'd have enough room to make the loop five feet wide or so ( a 30 inch radius in HO..not bad) and still have almost three feet of aisle space. This way you could send trains out and back and watch them continue on beyond New Hamburg. This gives you more space to model the town or lots of scenery. Place an access hatch in the middle of the loop.

The return track(s) could be hidden inside a series of industrial structures so trains seem to travel beyond the layout. These same structures could become the industries you switch on the left leg. Like the folks above I agree that you must have a long siding so your loco can run around the trains. Otherwise they'll be stuck and unable to move about the switch backs on the warf. I look forward to seeing that scene with the grain elevator and the ship!

Ralph

Attachments

• plan.jpg
    plan.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 232

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks for all the input everyone! Tyson, Shamus and Ralph have all mentioned a "runaround track" -- is that the same thing as a passing siding?

Ralph, thanks for the diagram and revised switching area. I confess my ignorance when it comes to such things. The point-to-point idea was a compromise based on space, and then I tried to avoid a reverse loop cuz it seems kinda complicated to me, but it looks like you solved that problem.

One more question. What's a return track?

cheers
:D Val

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Val,

Yep, a runaround is a passing siding. For operations sake make it as long as you can so your locomotive can back past and then hook up with the longest train you plan to run.

By "return track" I meant the part of the main line that comes back to the left side of your plan after it loops around by New Hamburg. I avoided the reverse loop by not connecting it back onto itself, so its still a point to point plan. The track returns to the left leg of the plan but appears to ...er...disappear behind or inside large buildings.
Ralph

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Ralph

Okay, so it goes out of sight in order to imply that it has gone somewhere else, right? Could it also come out from there? Because then I could hook up with that staging yeard i forgot to include! What do you think?

cheers
:p Val

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
You bet! In fact..it already IS a staging yard! Add more length and tracks to the staging if you can. If not you still have a good thing going. Imagine passenger trains or freights coming onto the layout, circling New Hamburg, and then pulling into the switching area. Switch cars or run the engine to the back of the passenger train and send them back where they came from. Operation! Train schedules and waybills can't be far behind! :)
Ralph