new photo from doctor wayne's

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hello all---i had a chance to bring some different locomotives to doctor wayne's---here's bullet nose betty 6060 about to cross the maitland river bridge

20032007013.jpg

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
(I think I'd pay some serious coin to have my diesels photo'd on the good doctor's layout.)

The pictures are always and I mean always a treat. That steamer looks great! I like the slight out of focus movement of the wheel action. Just great!

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
GREAT PIC NUTBAR!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: i ALWAYS enjoy seeing pics of the vast collection of engines you have;), i don't recall seeing that engine before. VERY NICE!:thumb: :D -Deano

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
thanks guys---herc,next time you're flying,head that plane north---there is an airport in the general area

here's another shot for your consideration

20032007038.jpg

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Killer shot!!! Great picture. Great picture. The lighting is great, everything is even and well lit.

Hey - don't give me any ideas about diverting into a local airport near you guys...ya just never know when an "inflight emergency" might pop up - and hey - you gotta put it on the ground for safety's sake...and that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
CN,
I would have to say that you and the good Doc are among a very few who show us the best of model RR'ing on this forum (and probably all others as well...). Not to discredit anyone else who do excellently good work, but...

Congratulations...!!! :thumb:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
NICE HUDSON!:thumb: nutbar, what type of tenders are those called? i see most of your steamers use the same type tender, i REALLY like those:D. :D -Deano

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
vanderbilt tenders

hello all---the cn used vanderbilt tenders on many of their locomotives including some consolidation and mikado types---i think they look especially good on the bigger engines---here's a couple of shots for your review

20032007006.jpg

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
here's the other shot

20032007035.jpg

gus,i'm glad you enjoy doctor wayne's and my offerings---believe me,i get a lot of enjoyment looking at everyone's contributions :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: ---that's what makes the gauge such a great web-site---thanks to all,nutbar

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
cn, very beautiful engines. And your photos are top notch, as usual.

A question to Wayne: I admire your telephone poles. Can you tell me, who makes them, please? (cn, I hope you don’t mind me hijacking your thread.)

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
First off, let me add my thanks to all for the kind comments. Nutbar, I particularily like the photo of the 5702 on the turntable: I think that I may have touched on this in another post, but that loco is the first that I painted for my friend, and is the vehicle through which we met. I got the job to paint this loco through a LHS, but when I got it home, I discovered that it had been damaged in shipping. In addition to that, it would barely run. Luckily, in the box was nutbar's name and 'phone number, so I decided to contact him directly, to let him know about the problems and that the price would probably be a bit higher than whatever he had originally been quoted. (I later learned that the LHS normally doubled whatever I charged for my work: I don't know if this was pretty much standard practice, or if I was charging too little, or if the hobby shop was charging too much.) Anyway, as they say, the rest is history.
Kurt, the telephone/telegraph poles are Atlas poles. They got a wash of PollyScale to kill the plastic shine, and the crossarm braces were painted dark grey. I then used a metallic green paint for the insulators; the idea came from a tip in MR or RMC, and the recommended paint was from either Testors or Pactra. Surprisingly, neither was available at my usually-well-stocked LHS. What they did have was a paint from Gunze Sangyo called Aqueous Hobby Color (it may be intended for either the model car or model 'plane hobby). The colour is Metallic Green H89, and I applied it with a brush.
Gus, the turntable was built using the sides from a couple of Atlas through-girder bridges, which were glued to a block of wood. I put a piece of flex track on top, with the webs connecting the ties removed. I then spaced out the plastic ties enough to insert longer ones cut from stripwood, and added the decking. The control cabin is scratchbuilt from styrene, and the handrails are made from .015" piano wire, with Athearn diesel handrail stanchions, modified with a bit of brass tubing, holding them in place. I still need to add a power arch. There is a little more on it here:
Turntable
If you scroll down a bit, there's one photo, then a few more a little farther down, plus a brief explanation.

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Just a little historical background on the 6060. She was the first loco of the final class of
20032007006.jpg

steam locos built for the CNR, and is still running today, in Alberta. During the mid-1970s, she was used for summer fan trips on the CNR mainline running through the Niagara Peninsula, and during the week, she substituted for the normal RDCs on the daily passenger run. By that time, she had been converted to burn oil.

Wayne

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Wayne, I just painted my Rix telephone poles. I used metallic green on the isolators – looks great. Thank you :wave: :wave:

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I had forgotten about the Rix poles, Kurt. I have some of their regular ones, but they also made crossarms cast in clear green plastic. The idea is that you paint the crossarms a suitable wood colour, and leave the insulators clear. I have a package of them that I've not yet used: I was saving them for the upper level of the layout. I don't see them at the hobbyshop anymore, but I'm sure that they must still be available. The Rix stock number is 628-35, which gives you 36 clear green tint plastic crossarms. You can buy the poles separately, or make your own. I've read somewhere that the Atlas poles more closely ressemble power poles, which would explain why they give you transformers with them. :rolleyes: :D :D

Wayne

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Wayne, I bought my regular Rix poles quite a while ago. You are right, the clear green cross arms would be great to model glass insulators. But I think, the metallic green color is a very good substitute for clear isolators. :wave: