shamus

Registered Member
Hi Jon,
Website now on Badger in HO section

Shamus
wink.gif

cidchase

Hmm..
I believe the P-K Line has appropriated the Shield of William the Conqueror for it's logo!! :eek: :eek: There may be some question of copyright infringement....:D :D :D

jon-monon

Those are the three lepardized lions common to danish artifacts, in this case, a stamp. I made the brown logo from a postage stamp.

The three lions are from the Danish National Coat of Arms, traced back to Danish king Valdemar I the Great (1131-1182). I am not sure of their significance, but since they date back before the Kalmer Union (combining Denmark, Norway and Sweden, ~1350), I guess they signify three of the earlier kings, or maybe three acqisitions from the Viking Age:

The three centuries of the Viking era

In the year 793 The Anglo­Saxon Chronicle refers to a Viking raid on the Lindisfarne Monastery on an island off the coast of northeastern England:

"In this year dire forewarnings came over the land of the Northumbrians and miserably terrified the people; dragons were seen flying in the air. A great famine soon followed these tokens; and a little after that, in the same year, on the VIth of the Ides of January (Jan. 8th) the havoc of heathen men miserably destroyed God's church at Lindisfarne, through rapine and slaughter."

Such a jolly time. I wish I could be a Viking!

CID: Did William the Conqueror take England back from teh Danish vikings? The dates are a little foggy , but that's what I gather. I wonder if the lions come from England and the Danes picked them up during the short custodianship over England, or if the English got them from the Dames. Anywho, don't worry about the copy right, Danish Vikings don't aknowledge anyones copy rights, or any rights for that matter :) BTW: King Harold was baptised before he took England, so not all Danish Vikings were heathans as one may summize from the caption. I'll bet the Danish Vikings even got Christmas off for the 135 years or so of Vikingism that followed the kings baptismal.:D :D :D

Attachments

• depf44x.jpg
    depf44x.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 127

jkristia

Ok, now I have to ask. Are you either Danish, Danish descendant or do you
have any Danish relatives? First the name of your line, The Paulsen-Knudsen
Line. Paulsen and Knudsen are some of the most common Danish last names
(Jensen being the most common). And now this, your logo with the crown and
the lions? And your knowledge of the Danish history. You know more about our
history than I do, so I guess you must be somehow related to Denmark.

Just curious.

Jesper

jon-monon

Jesper, sorry I didn't answer sooner, the thread fell below many others...

Originally posted by jkristia
Ok, now I have to ask. Are you either Danish, Danish descendant or do you
have any Danish relatives? First the name of your line, The Paulsen-Knudsen
Line. Paulsen and Knudsen are some of the most common Danish last names
(Jensen being the most common). And now this, your logo with the crown and
the lions? And your knowledge of the Danish history. You know more about our
history than I do, so I guess you must be somehow related to Denmark.

Just curious.

Jesper

I am a 1/4 Dane, as my grandfather Jens Paulsen immigrated to Iowa about 1910 with Pete Knudsen, as blacksmith apprentices for Pete's father Christian Knudsen (how's that for a Danish name!). Pete and Jens became partners in a blacksmith business in Turin IA and this is the basis for the P-K line.

Now as far as my Danish history goes, I probably know less than you realize, as most of my "knowledge" comes from the Danish Embassy. I don't retain this type of stuff real well, but I enjoy reading it and I can cut and paste :)

BTW: Dick, absnut can speak some Danish

So, you were born in Danmark and now live in CA?

Godt Nytår

jkristia

Godt nytaar til dig ogsaa. Ja, jeg flyttede til Californien i '97

Happy New Year to you too. Yes, I moved to CA in '97, initially just for 1 year, but I liked it so much so I decided to stay a little bit longer, and I’m still here :). Even though I have been here for more than 5 years, I haven’t traveled too much in the US (we usually go to Denmark or Peru on vacation), only southern California, Nevada and Arizona, but I’m dreaming of one day to be able to take 1 – 2 month of vacation and just drive or fly from state to state, maybe even go to Alaska, and of course do A LOT of rail fanning while driving :D

Jesper

In my poking-around-Europe years --- primarily the 60s, but into the 70s too --- Denmark was one of two countries in which I felt most "at home". Not something I could ever define beyond that it seemed to me that the people acted, or reacted, or thought the way I expect people to, which made them seem, in spite of cultural differences, "like" me, which made me feel welcome there.

I guess that's a convoluted way of saying I liked the place.

The other country was Holland.

BillS

jdh

ok, calling all danes...

what rr signals do they use over there in denmark?
i have not seen any pics for them.

btw: i read that viking was a verb, not a noun.
any truth to that?
i think it was to go a viking.

[yes, my family came from denmark, but hundreds of years ago, and stopped off in scotland and ireland before coming here to american in 1756. the other sides of the family were already here, cherokee and blackfoot.]

jon-monon

Jesper - I'm glad they let you fly a jeg to America instead of the slow boat like grandfather Paulsen had to take! See? I'm gettin good at Danski, no? :D :D :D I'm glad you like it here and hope you can stay as long as you like.

Bill - interesting, my father felt the same way when he visited and he speaks no Danish.

JDH - Jesper can probably give you the answer, but the fun way to find out is to go to the Danish Model Railroad club (Jermban Klub) click on Foto Album, then click on part of the layout, one "Lokale" and you will see some really nice photo's of their layout! I wish we had a klub like that here! Full of Danes and a celler full of Carlesburg!

jkristia

Originally posted by jdh

what rr signals do they use over there in denmark?
i have not seen any pics for them.

Unfortunately I have no Idea, I just got into this hobby about 3 years ago, and my interest is mainly for North American freight trains. Of course you could, as Jon suggested, search for either “model tog” (model train) or “model jernbane” (model railroad), which will give you several hits, but of course, most of the links that I checked are only in Danish.

Maybe I should see if I can find a Danish train forum and invite some of the guys over here, and then maybe they could send us a few cases of Carlsberg or Tuborg (another great beer) :)

Jesper