New Nscaler Layout

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by mo_sib_huskies, Jul 12, 2005.

1. mo_sib_huskies

mo_sib_huskies New Member

Hi all, I'm kinda new here :rolleyes:
    I didn't want to post this, but I'm stressing:curse: . I've been looking at and planning layouts for about 3 weeks and can't get a good feeling from any of them. I like two (6th & last) of the ones over here N Scale Layouts for Small Spaces.
    I wanted to expand them and a couldn't get good flows. The 2 freehand designs I made left no room for scenery. I'd post a pic, but they are in Atlas Right Track.
    Here is what I have - my space is 4 foot wide and 87 inches in length with an 2 foot wide by 3 foot kicker on the front right, pretty much L shaped.
    I am using Atlas code 80. I have a good amount of track, but will get what I need. I want to avoid reverse running capabilities, swithing is fine. A expandable layout would be nice.
    I want to run transitional era, mainly steam. I would like to run atleast one lengthy train, and more than one at once in isolated loops, a good blend of residential, commercial and industrial (coal and cattle mainly I think).
    Ok I'm done rambling. Thanks, Andy
  2. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

The last one on the link looks interesting.
    Had you thought of putting some sort of "line of sight" block down the center of the 4ft wide section? Either a backdrop or a large hill, this would separate the layout into two distinct scenes and allow more options.

Had you thought of putting a small stub end yard on the 2x3 kicker?
    Maybe a turntable, engine house or roundhouse and servicing facility.
  3. mo_sib_huskies

Will, yes I was hoping to get a yard of some sort in that area.
    I think I got my layout into a viewable jpeg format. I think it is a lot of track without much room for "eye candy".
    I think you can get an idea of the space I'm working with here. The front is open and room corners in the upper two corners. I was thinking mountain in atleast one corner. I'm going to play around with these 2 some more and get some pics up. Please keep the ideas coming, I need the help.
    Andy

Attached Files:

4. Will_annand

If you want steam and you want a yard, you should include a turntable.
    Here is a suggestion for your 3' spur.

Attached Files:

5. mo_sib_huskies

I played around for a little while today.
    I am unsure of the loop in the very center, my opt for more scenery.
    Will, I like your yard, I had already done this one before I saw it. Is it overkill?
    Andy

Attached Files:

6. Will_annand

Looks good Andy.

Are you able to run another spur up parallel to the turntable line?

Prototpically, on the line into the turntable was the inspection station, water, sand and coal stations. A second line was used to fill/empty the various stations.
  7. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Will - that's a service track, for coal, sand, whatever. Many operations of the size you guysare illustrating would have an inbound and an outbound track, plus possibly a separate service track.

Andrew
  8. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Hi Andy, welcome to the Gauge :wave: :wave:
    The thing that jumps out at me right off the bat is your layout is 4 feet deep with the two top corners in room corners. This means little or difficult access to the tracks at the back of the layout. If you are determined to use your space as indicated be sure to make access ports, a hollow mountain or something like a liftout that lets you reach all of the back area. A two foot reach is a stretch without destroying everything in between.
  9. Will_annand

Thanks Andrew, :thumb: that is what I meant, I just forgot the terminology. :oops:
  10. mo_sib_huskies

Will, thank you. Would a switch prior to the turntable be the trick? Should it be just long enough for my longest engine?
    Andrew, as for the outlet, just take one of the other sections of turntable and turn it out into the mainline?
    Clark, your comment is well noted and not the first..lol. I was thinking of keeping the mountain (back right) hollow and cut out access from the underside of the table. It is pretty easy to get under, especially if need be retrieve a train.

Any opinions on the the centermost loop?

Andy - feeling better
  11. Tileguy

Tileguy Member

Changing elevations and running that yard above and over the loop gains you extra yard space. heres an example

Attached Files:

12. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Andy,

You can rotate the turntable a little to make an inbound and outbound track to the turntable, if you wish. Not necessary, but I would surmise that this is a big facility considering the number of tracks you have off the turntable.

As a comparison, Orangeville, ON was a main yard and service stop for the CPR between Toronto and Owen Sound. It had a 5 stall roundhouse, only one in/out track, but only a few "garden" (outdoor) tracks - not nearly as many as you show.

As for the inner loop - I think the radius is a bit tight, and I can't think of a purpose for it. What industries/scenery do you have planned for it?

Andrew
  13. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

sorry, had a goofup there. :oops: :oops: :oops:
  14. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

I agree. You wouldn't be able to haul many cars, especially longer ones. And once again I have to raise that old axiom, accessability. I you have a derailment at one of the turnouts (a common place for them) leading to the loop you will have a 3 foot stretch to get at them.

Would it be possable to build the back section shallower and extend along the left wall to make up for it?
  15. mo_sib_huskies

Hi all. I made some mods today. I'll get my pic scanned and uploaded tomorrow.
    Basically I reversed the layout in the yard, placing the turntable at the lower end and the switching yard towards the main. I reduced the number of garden tracks to 4 with a roundhouse and a engine repair building. As for the center loop I cut and left a short turnout.
    Andy
  16. mo_sib_huskies

Ok, here is what my layout looks like now. I'm still looking at different methods as to accessing the back 18" of the layout with platforms and holes through the table. The first turnout on the yard will be a industrial/commercial spur. I am thinking of putting a freight car repair facility on the end of one of the other pairs of turnouts. Spacing between the service, in and out will be adjusted once I determine the right structure design (that I like and proper era) and know the dimensions.
    Andy

Attached Files:

17. seanm

seanm Member

To have a yard that works, you need some sort of runaound track... a track that you can stop a short train on, uncouple and get to the other side of the train with an engine. In your current configuration, you cannot do that. I don't know where you would put it. Also I wonder what the last two spurs on the right and left of the yard are for. The look like they are 1 car long....hmmm...

Oytherwise, it looks like a fun plan to build! Keep up the good work. Planning is sometimes more then half the fun.
  18. mo_sib_huskies

Ok, how about this. Made a couple minor changes to the yard. I will add a couple garden tracks as I can fit them during layout.
    Andy

Attached Files:

19. seanm

seanm Member

That is good. Now if you want to do any switching at teh indistries at teh top, upi need the same thing there. Put a switch on the industry tracko n teh right and one on the track that goes to the inner loop and join them.... Then you should be set to go!

All in all a better plan!