New N scale member

guyvanwettering

Jun 4, 2007
Beauregard Alabama
Hello, how is everybody today? Well I am new to this hobby forum and I have to say that I am pleased to see a forum that is used truly for what it is intended for. I have been reading your posts and I have been getting alot of good information and ideas for my model railroad (I'm trying to build a representation of the N&W in the last days of steam). I will have alot of questions to ask as I am just starting to get into the DCC aspect of the hobby. I recently installed an MRC Brilliance sound decoder in one of my Js and it works great. I have a few Y-3 mallets to convert But I really can't decide on which decoder to use. Does anyone out there hve a preference to which decoder I should use. I have no brand loyalty right now since I am just getting started. So far, the MRC does well but that is the only decoder I have ever had or even used. I am at a little of a disadvantage because in my area I think I am one of the only ones involed in this hobby so I don't have access to anyone elses layout for a demonstration. Anyones input would be apreciated. Thanks again.:wave:

scubadude

Sep 5, 2006
Richardson, Texas
Welcome Aboard The Gauge! I assure you will find answers to all the questions you will have right here from the expert modellers found on the Gauge (Dr. Wayne, Deano Josh are a few of the ones to watch!)stooges8

Have fun.................sign1

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
Good morning and welcome. I still consider myself a rookie but I am picking up tips from here all the time. I like the tcs decoders, they have a 1 year goof proof warrenty which I have used:eek:ops: I have not played around with sound as of yet but there are many that have and im sure will chime in. again welcom

guyvanwettering

Jun 4, 2007
Beauregard Alabama
N scale steam decoders

Thanks for the reply rogerw. On your TCS decoder, how is you slow speed response? My MRC decoder doesn't seem to go very slowly. I have tried adjusting the CVs for starting voltage and top voltage, but it dosen't seem to do very much good. I have read good things about the M-1 decoders I was just wondering if it was for real or just hype.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
guyvanwettering:wav: , i am in HO, so not sure of the best N scale soundecoders, but i DO KNOW that Loksound makes the "Loksound mini", these ARE made for N scale engines:winki: . in HO, i think Loksound is about the best:thumb: , i would think their N scale sound decoders would be equally as good:winki: . just a thought:smilie: .
:deano: -Deano

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
Guyvanwettering,
First of all welcome to the gauge.:thumb:
I know this is a late post to you question. But
I just got into DCC myself. I have installed two decoders into older Atlas GP35s. (no sound) They both worked after the install so the next step was to in stall a sound decoder- I purchased a LocSound unit for N scale. My install is to be a Kato Kakado. The first challange is finding the room for the decoder and the speaker. The decoder is 1.118x0.61x0.26- speaker is about .990 long x .630 wide and .265 tall.
NOt much room in the tender for all this suff.
So at this point in time I have still to figure out how to make room for the sound. - project still under way.
There are other sound decoders out there, so you might have to some research on what size they are.
BTW, Aztec is doing a sound in a GP40 I think- Might want to check that out.

guyvanwettering

Jun 4, 2007
Beauregard Alabama
Thanks for the welcome, woodone. I'm mainly trying to stay in the modern steam era on the N & W for right now. I have been looking for some first generation diesels in N that would have been on the N & W about that time. Atlas has just announced a release of an RS-11 painted for the N & W, but I'm not up on which diesels were in service about the same time they were still using the Y's and the J's for revenue service. As far as your Kato mikado I have seen some articles on the net showing how to install decoders in them. Some in the tender and some in the boiler. I think I am going with the tender install. I know it won't have sound but at least I will be able to run it on my layout or someone elses. It is just too good of an engine not to run it just because its not prototypical to the N & W.

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
I have seen the Kato Mikado installes, two were installed in the boiler.
The advantage to this is there are no wires running between the tender and the loco.
The sound decoder is just to large to get it into the boiler on the loco.
Even if I remove the weight there is not enough room- So for me to install, it is going into the tender. Even with that I am haveing to make modifications to the tender to get it stuffed in the tender. I stiil have
not got it done, maybe today, I will win that battle.
Like I said in my first reply, look at other decoders.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
A Y was the last steam engine to run on N&W in April 1960. I'm not sure how long the Js lasted.

The first N&W diesels were GP9s and RS-3s in 1955. They kept coming back for more GP9s, and starting in Dec '59, GP18s. They also bought some RS-11s, and for switching, they had Alco T-6s. Everything else was after the end of steam.

guyvanwettering

Jun 4, 2007
Beauregard Alabama
I believe the last run for the J was in late '59 I'll have to look in my books at home and find out for sure. Thanks for the info on the first gen. deisels. Now I have a list that I can start acquiring.