new N gauge problems

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
My beloved spouse decided use the money she got from her vacation time she got paid when they fired her at work to get me a Bachmann N-Gauge UP set (F7 engine, 2 cars and a caboose) since I've been working hard and Daniel doesn't feel like giving me track rights on his HO set. We got the set home from my local store and put it together and I started it up with the new Tech 4 MRC 220 controller we got for his set as well. The lights lit up but the engine didn't run. I took it apart to see if maybe it needed lubrication and found that one winding had bound up and the wire had broken! :(

So now I have an engine that will not run. I've e-mailed Bachmann about this. So how good is their customer service? Or am I just screwed? I really don't have the $$$ to get a new engine so will I have to wait forever for a reply?

Depressed does not begin to describe how I feel right now.... :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Michael

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
Bachman

My dealings with Bachman has been good, I packaged my engine up with information and the warranty card all in one and they returned a new engine. They do take about 6wks to 2mths to return though, they said that is always the case. :( :( :confused:

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
I have had 2 engines go back. One a N-guage non-Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation that I purchased at a GATS here in DC and the other a Spectrum F7 A & B set that I messed up the A unit while trying to install MT Couplers. :(

The 2-8-0 came back brand new in about 8 weeks. I sent off the F7 set 2 weeks ago so they haven't had time to return it yet. All I have heard on other forums is that 6 - 8 weeks is normal but they do honor their "lifetime" warranty. I have been pleased so far. :) :)

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Micheal, Man what a bummer:( Tell you what I'd do...and I speak as one who was in the hobby business....Don't sit around waiting on Bachman. Put everything back in the box and take it back to where you bought it and demand a replacement or a refund. Be nice and explain the problem and show them what you found if they want to see it. This is assuming that you bought it at a LHS. Despite what they might tell you their distributor will take it back as defective and give them credit for it. Anything they might say about "due to the nature of the product....etc" is just so much BS!!!!

If you bought it at another type of retailer such as a discount store Wal~Mart, Toy R Us and etc....you should not have any problem.

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
I agree with Vic, but I have also found that even when I've used a Bachmann product for awhile, they stand behind their warranty. I had some axles crack on a DD40AX and an F7 and they were quickly replaced, without question or cost.

Dick

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Well, I guess I'll take it back, but the train store is closed on Sunday and Monday, so I'll have to wait.... :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Some days it doesn't pay to get up, plus I only have one day off this week and next. :(

Michael

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Of course, Mark there knows me very well (i'm there at least twice a week with Daniel) and we have bought a lot of stuff there, so I think he will not give me any problems. I just hate having to wait....

Michael

ps: I wanna play with my new train NOW! :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :D

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Just a quick update on my earlier response. I just received a brand new set of the N-gauge F7 A & B unit in the mail yesterday. Remember I had disassembled and reassembled the A unit and it didn't work. A little over 2 weeks for the turnaround.:) :)

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hey Micheal, Just out of curoisity what trainstore do you shop at up there in that aera. I may have "been there and done that":D

BTW, There's a pretty good trainshow coming up 12/07/02 at the Georgia International Covention Center. That's in College Park on Sullivan Rd. Right behind Hartsfield Airport. Maybe I'll see you there:)

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Vic, I shop at Young Again Trains and Hobbies in Stockbridge (right next to the train bridge, good place, no?).

Maybe I'll get to go to the train show, but I am not certain right now. We have one girl on my shift quitting in two weeks and my off days may change (again) so that we will have the weekend adequately covered. Guess who is probably going to lose his Sundays off? :eek: :(

Michael

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
I am about to send my second back to Bachman. I E Mailed them and got a reply to send it in with $15.00 and they would replace it. The first one was a F7 A & B unit. Both powered and they repaced both.