new MTH set question

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Jan 23, 2007.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

im looking at a few MTH sets with sound . the ones from 250.00 to 350.00 range.

it i got one of them but used lionel fasttrack insted of the MTH track with the sound still work?
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I thought that stuff was more dependant on the type of transformer?
  3. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I like the MTH Pennsylvania Aerotrain, but then again I bought it. :) The set was just under $350 and the PS 2 sounds will work on any track. I will note though that MTH sounds will not work with a Lionel CW-80.
  4. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

thats kinda what i thought, but you got to get the signal to the engine somewhow....... i thought there might be something on the MTH track that just any O gauge track did not have, i know lionel has sound to, but did not know if it was compatable.

5. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i have post war lionel transformers. but if i get a set i will have a MTH transformer. i would think i could still run my pre and post war lionel and marx engines on the MTH transformer........right?

6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

7. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I would say your trains should run ok but I doubt any bells or whistles you have on them will work with the MTH transformer. Then again, they might. I dunno how compatible MTH has made their stuff with Lionel.
  8. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I bought and use the MTH Z1000 100 Watt transformer and it works great with my Post War locomoitves all brands, new Lionel TMCC (in conventional) and MTH locomotives.

My CW-80 will not operate the MTH proto-sounds 2.0.

My Post War lionel SW 135 will run all trains but will not operate the new tenders with out a bell, whistle control.

The only big problem is the Lionel CW-80 and MTH proto-sounds.
  9. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i looked at a few MTH sets today at my LHS, did not walk out with one tho... i want to look them over some more,,, cant decide witch one i want.lol
  10. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Hey O did you ever get this set?
  11. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

wow, this is an old post...lol

nope , not the ones i was looking at back then. only MTH set i ended up getting was the Texas special set. and it never came with track or transformer. but i love it tho! had it maybe 3 or 3 months. i have bought some single pieces of MTH rolling stock tho. and have a lot ordered out of the 2008 book, wont see most of it till like june or july . if they make it at all...lol
  12. Geno

Geno Member

Ozzy,
    Is that the premieum Lionel set with the 21" streamliners? I thought you didn't have room for cars that need 072 or larger curves...;)

Geno
  13. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

my Texas SP? nope! its an MTH railking set. i think they are 16" cars . can run on 031 i guess, i know they run on my 036, but look better on my 048. 048 is the biggest curves i have so far. i have 3 of the 4 add-on cars to. when i get the 4th one the whole train will be 14 feet long.

i like the lionel Texas SP... but im not paying 1200.00 for a train i cant run...lol.
  14. Geno

Geno Member

Ozzy,
    That MTH Railking set is probably a much better fit for you- and still has that attractive Texas special paint scheme. MTH is switching alot of its Railking line with older Premier tooling, so you may end up getting into scale after all.

Geno
  15. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i have a few Premier rolling stock as well,
    i have a 20-94132 iowa beef 40' steel sided reefer car.
    a 20-98585 alaska flat car with 2 campers
    and a coal car that i would have to dig out to get the # and i think all the 2008 mth stuff i got ordered is premier, other then an engine.
  16. Geno

Geno Member

Ozzy,
    If you have some Autoracks coming you might want to consider upgrading your outter mainline to 060 curves- MTH 'racks are about 18" long and will look too big on those 048 curves.

The 50' boxcars and rolling stock still look okay on smaller curves. And the 4-axle power, like Geeps and switchers, look right at home on them too.

Of course, none of this even matters if you could care less. :mrgreen:

Geno
  17. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

ya im planning on bigger curves, someday i will have a house where i can have a layout with 084 curves...lol