new modules

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
It was a great spring day in Chicago, so I moved the car out of the garage, and set up the slice and dice equipment, and commenced hacking up some wood. The second three module set is under construction.

Attachments

• newmod.jpg
    newmod.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 219

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Looking great sumpter250, whats that big grey bridge on the bottom right, part of a further module?

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
rockislandmike wishes he were at that stage already. However, he has definitely scheduled most of this weekend to re-arranging/organizing the garage so his layout can begin construction in one of the corners (being the ever so nice guy, I'm going to let my wife decide which corner).

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
top 5 questions

From the top 5 questions thread:

Sumpter250:
Those of you who have seen the module photos I posted will understand why my "top five" are all the same,,

Does the bridge work????

Pete

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :) :cool:

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Woodie, I don't think "the top five" are applicable to my question. The bridge could be a static display, if not, I had a question of how Sumpter makes provisions for his track alignment. :D :p

Bill P.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Bill,
The bridge on the center module is a rolling lift, and I do intend to make it operational. Changes to the plans require that I move the rolling lift to the back of the module and put a non operating vertical lift in its place. The purpose of the placement of the bridge was to actually "bridge" the center and lefthand module, the vertical lift will do the same thing, but with a manually removable bridge deck. The rolling lift will still be an operating bridge. The beauty of the rolling lift is that it is basicly self aligning, and its bridge deck can also be removed, to make transport of the modules safer.
In order to include the "waterline"route, at a lower level than the standard mainline spec's, I will have to use the "take down" bench work instead of the standard legs. The modules are 48" X 30" vice 48" X 24", but will fit in the same trailer I use for the older mod's.
Pete

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Thanks Pete, that answers my question and gives me several ideas. Plan on making several more "N" scale modules for our shows and water will definitely be in the planning. I'm impressed with your 30" wide modules. It doesn't seem like much over the 24", that is until you try and manuever them through some door in a high school gymnasium. Thanks again,

Bill P.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Bill,
The "skyboard", or backboard is the same for 30" as for 24", and the mod's are usually carried "front high" through doors, so there's really no more problem,,,,except for the extra weight.
There is an N scale group in this area, and one of their members has a "module" that is a self contained "layout" featuring the Edmond Fitzgerald, and a complete ore dock and waterfront scene. If it shows up at the mall this weekend, I'll try to get some decent pics.
Pete