JKountz

Greetings everyone, new member here. Also new to this hobby, well kind of new again as I was into it some as a kid like we all were I suppose. Im doing some extensive research before I begin building a layout and right now Im looking at doing a Civil War era layout based on the VA Central and more specifially the Shenendoah Valley. Im finding that photos of the locomotives and such during this time is hard to come by. Im hoping maybe someone here has done such a layout or similar and can offer some help. Actually any info on Civil War era railroads, trains etc would be great. Thanks everyone!

L

lester perry

Welcome to the hobby & welcome to the Guage. I know nothing about Civil War railroading but I am sure someone out there will.
Les

Gary S.

And I'll say welcome aboard also! Even though I have only been around here for a couple of months myself.

Pooh Bah
Check on posts from hminky. He is modelling close to that era.
For photos, you're probably stuck with looking through Civil War books, and hoping that someone took a shot with your railroad in the background.
On the plus side, if you can't find the information no-one can say that you're wrong.

JKountz

60103 said:
On the plus side, if you can't find the information no-one can say that you're wrong.

Hey thats true! Never thought about that. Thanks for the help, I have been able to locate some information thought its been slow going. I think I could settle for knowing what locos were used in the area here (Shenendoah Valley) and go with that. As long as its period correct that should work right!?

Jim

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Welcome aboard! Glad you could join us. My guess is that some one here will have some information for you.
Best wishes!
Ralph

JKountz

Well thanks to all who replied, what a huge help you folks are! Great forum here. Thanks to your help and a little more research I have the answers I needed, have identified the type of locomotives of the era and currently have one on order and Im bidding on another one right now! Very cool. Thanks again to everyone, couldnt have done it without you!