New Member znd layout photos FINALLY!

JorgeC

Mar 5, 2007
New York
Hello:wave: ,

My name is Jorge, I live in New Jersey and I'm an engineer for the Susquehanna Railroad.
I have been reading the posts for awhile and finally decided to join. Here are pics of my 12' long by 18" wide layout that is currently under construction. I model New York carfloat railroads. I use to work for the New York Cross Harbor Railroad and the layout is a freelanced version but set in The Bronx where I use to live. I hope you enjoy them! Thanks to prodigy2k7:thumb: I was able to resize my pics. I hope everybody enjoys the pics.

Here is a little history of my model railroad...

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Bronx Union Terminal is a mid 70's short line operating out of The Bronx and Manhattan New York. The Bronx Union also operates the ex Delaware Lackawanna & Western Harlem Transfer Co. and the ex Erie Railroad 28th Street yard.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Connections are made with Conrail (CR) at Greenville NJ, via the Brooklyn Eastern District Terminal (BEDT) and with the BEDT at Pidgeon St, Long Island City Queens and Kent Avenue, Brooklyn, the NewYork Dock Railway (NYD) at Fulton and Atlantic terminals,Brooklyn.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The majority of customers are small industrial companies (printing, plastics, coalyard, etc.) as well as a heavy flour milling operation sending shipments off line to dealers nationwide. [/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Although the line is not truly prosperous, it is making money and has an outstanding engine service facility with a maintenance crew devoted to rebuilding and maintenance with tender loving care. This is attested to by the pioneer diesel CNJ 1000, which is now under Bronx Union ownership and is now in top shape after 51 years of service.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With its small but dedicated staff of employees, the Bronx Union tends to reflect the sense of optimism found in its headquarters city of The Bronx New York as to a solid future in providing high quality service to its clients as well as presenting rail service in a favorable light to more people.[/FONT]

vbmenu_register("postmenu_261859", true);

Attachments

• bronxunionterminal002ph4.jpg
    bronxunionterminal002ph4.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 177
  • bronxunionterminal003zr1.jpg
    bronxunionterminal003zr1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 173
  • bronxunionterminal004wd2.jpg
    bronxunionterminal004wd2.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 174
  • bronxunionterminal005cg6.jpg
    bronxunionterminal005cg6.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 174
  • bronxunionterminal006df8.jpg
    bronxunionterminal006df8.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 174

JorgeC

Mar 5, 2007
New York
Here is the second set of pics.

Attachments

• bronxunionterminal007lp0.jpg
    bronxunionterminal007lp0.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 170
  • bronxunionterminal008pg2.jpg
    bronxunionterminal008pg2.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 169
  • bronxunionterminal010sd9.jpg
    bronxunionterminal010sd9.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 169
  • bronxunionterminal011yf9.jpg
    bronxunionterminal011yf9.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 168
  • bronxunionterminal012du8.jpg
    bronxunionterminal012du8.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 168

JorgeC

Mar 5, 2007
New York
Here are the last three. I hope everybody likes them!

Attachments

• bronxunionterminal017wp1.jpg
    bronxunionterminal017wp1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 166
  • prideofthefleetbronxunisx1.jpg
    prideofthefleetbronxunisx1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 166
  • bronxunionterminal016tw1.jpg
    bronxunionterminal016tw1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 165

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
very nice lookin layout,looks like you dont need our help! :D and i also have the same question as madhatter,what is that funny ramp thing.is it a fiddle yard?
--josh

JorgeC

Mar 5, 2007
New York
New Member and layout photos FINALLY!

Hello:wave: ,

The ramp is a carfloat apron and the red thing is the beginings of a carfloat(barge). Around New York harbor cars were interchanged between railroads on carfloats. The apron is basically a bridge that ties the carfloat to the shore. Train crews then would then shove cars onto the carfloat. I'm glad everybody enjoyed the pics! i will post more as construction progresses.

Jorge

Attachments

• 1622ur8.jpg
    1622ur8.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 121

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Looking good! I think modeling a harbor operation with car floats are a great way to provide some staging for a switching layout when you don't have room for a huge layout. Of course it also makes a nice layout even if you have the room, but prefer to model a car float operation!

scottcn

Jul 8, 2006
coastal SC
JorgeC said:
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Although the line is not truly prosperous, ...[/FONT]

My first thought on reading this was "What do you mean the line isn't really prosperous - that's a fine-looking solid gold locomotive sitting on the rails!" ;)

- Scott

JorgeC

Mar 5, 2007
New York
New Member and layout photos FINALLY!

Hello Everybody :wave: ,

Russ your absolutely right about staging in a small space. The cars come onto and off the layout via the carfloat just like the land locked Brooklyn terminal railroads. The carfloats sit on what is now a shelf under the layout, but that shelf will eventually become a second carfloat terminal, probably Erie's 28th Street yard in Manhattan. I just got in the mail today, the apron for the second float bridge that is going to be used there. I won it on E-bay a couple of days ago. Scott you caught my little joke:D . The Bronx Union says that so big railroads dont take it over. Ralph, I'm very glad because I was about to delete my membership to this forum, but thanks to prodigy2k7, I was able to post my pics. I've posted a clearer pic of the apron. I'll have more pics this week as I'm going to do some work on it this week.

Have fun,
Jorge

mcCormicknychs-4oldR.gif
burgerttx72cblload.gif
30air_gacx.gif
hersrud60tank_utlx1.gif

Attachments

• 5047_1.jpg
    5047_1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 89