new member, need help

pttom

I am building 4x10 layout. I am using 2" blue for the base, and have glued the foam roadbed down. What can I use to glue the track down to the foam roadbed?
Thanks Tommy

jmarksbery

If you can't find any of that pin it down and put on the ballest, mix Elmers white glue, water and a little dish soap and when it dries pull out the pins and dingo, glued down track, ( I have also glued the track with Elmers and later added the ballest) Jim :rolleyes:

spitfire

Just wondering Jim - does this also work with flex track, or is the tension too much?

cheers
;) Val

jon-monon

There's a little how-to down in the academy, written by Shamus on the glue/ballast method. In my brief, 12" to be exact, experiance, it's best to err on the thin side when mixing the porage.

Anyone tried these methods on a layout that gets big temperature swings, like in a garage, maybe in Indiana ??? :D :D :D

glue

I have just finished laying a bunch of track on foam. I got some latex gloves and latex silicone caulk. I laid the track and used long pins to hold it in place. When all was fitted exactly, I used a marker along one side. I pulled some pins, laid a small bead of caulk, spread it thin with a gloved finger, and lay the track back down, and it is stuck. Make sure all joints are good. I have had to take some up later for changes and used a long cheap knife that slid under it and the track popped loose. Never had any trouble with it either. One tube of caulk will lay a heap of track. I laid over 100' with less than a 1/3 tube.

Lynn

jon, If it's all possible you need to get the area where your layout will be in the garage sealed off from the rest of the "car hole". Moisture will reek havoc if you don't. Just section off what area you will need.

I had to bite the bullet and do this ultra boring task in my shop. I built a simple room in a room. but now it can be climate controled and faily dust free. Not to mention being kinda neat all tucked away. heck... I might play tent in the one night. :D

t.