New member and layout pics

dannparks

Dec 28, 2007
Hi All,

I am a recently addicted n-scale modeler in the Portland OR area, having been lured back into Model Railroading by the the capabilities of DCC control. I am working on my first layout and have started an album at Picasa Web Albums - Dan - N-scale model....

I have been looking at lots of great modeler's websites for ideas and inspiration, and have been very thankful that everyone in the community shares their knowledge and enjoyment of the hobby. I am thinking of building a Bend Track layout next, and have posted a message in the modular forum trying to find any Bend Trackers in the Portland area. Is much Bend Track activity happening anywhere?

Anyway I thought I would say hello, and share the mess I have been making in the shop...

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Fantastic work. I myself have just started experimenting with carving foam into rocks and I'm pleased with the results. That track plan looks to be very interesting and it should take quite a while before you tire of it. I see your holding off on the water features. Keep us posted with pictures when you get to that point. Bend trackers??? Can't say I even know what that is much less who and where.

ozzman

Nov 8, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hi

Are you using the Woodlands Scenics foam system? I'm considering that for my planned Z Scale layout, but it's hard to find modellers with experience in using it.

Gary

scubadude

Sep 5, 2006
Richardson, Texas
That layout is B-BAD TO THE B-BONE! :thumb: I feel your pain with the Atlas switches. I'm in too deep with them to turn back now though :cry: Post more pics as you add the details....
:welcome1::welcome1::welcome1:

dannparks

Dec 28, 2007
Hi Gary. The whole thing is made of 2 layers of solid pink construction styrofoam, plus mountains on top that are solid styrofoam as well. The Woodland Scenics system looks interesting to create smooth and level grades. I would have used it in conjunction with the solid styrofoam to create grades, but decided to stay flat for this first layout. I definately recommend the solid styrofoam method. The foam itself is probably strong enough to support a mid-sized z-scale layout without any other structure if you protect the edges with wood or a fiberglass layup.

Dann

dannparks

Dec 28, 2007
Thanks for the comments. I'm a little anxious about doing the water. The color is so critical, but I guess you just got to give it a shot and learn from it. Do you have any exmples of your foam rock carving? I have only been able to successfully carve one kind of rock, and am wondering what techniques others are using to make different rocks.

Bend Track (website) is essentially an n-scale version of Z-Bend. The modules go together in a linear fashion with loop turn-arounds at the end of each "arm". The standard only applies to the ends of the modules where they hook together, so it encourages modules that are subtly curved rather than straight and are of any size. It has advantages and disadvantages over N-trak. Two turn-around modules can make a practical home layout that you can take to meets or shows. It's very intriguing to me, but does not seem to have caught on much.

Dann

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
Nice looking layout!:thumb: And welcome to the Gauge.:wave:
New to DCC?
Check out the DCC section, some good information there.
Hope to see more photos as you work to get finished.
Water? Your from Portland right?? You should know all about water.sign1

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
... Do you have any exmples of your foam rock carving? I have only been able to successfully carve one kind of rock, and am wondering what techniques others are using to make different rocks...
Yup I do. Check out this post in this thread... http://forum.zealot.com/t112916-13/#post778556
Now I'm hooked and ready to quit using molds all together. This is my first try at this technique and I promise my efforts will improve with practice I'm sure.

Nice work on the layout it is coming along really nice. I plan on using styrafoam on top of my layout as well, however I do have to purchase quit a bit as my layout is taking up a one car garage. I too feel your pain with the Atlas swithces but I have removed the remote swith from most of them and installed Caboose Industries ground throws, once I start laying out the yard I will post pictures.

dannparks

Dec 28, 2007
WOW, that's quite a canyon :thumb:. All that vertical really adds another dimension (literally) -- and a serious geology lesson! It sure shows that a lot of different kinds of formations can be carved right from the foam. I hope I can build something like that someday, but it seems hard to get that kind of height in a stand-alone layout.

To get away from the horizontal lines, I agressively go after the thing with a surform until it all looks like one big block before doing any rock carving. It also helps to spread the glue very thin and really press the blocks together when you're assembling them up to minimize voids.

In your case, the horizontal lines add a great effect. Sort of like the Grand Canyon. Makes it look even larger. I'll keep and eye out for more pictures.