New lighting trick!

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
What you are looking at is two pictures of the flor. light bar out of an old scanner. When your scanner dies, (meaning that it won't scan correctly, but the lamp still lights), you can pull the lamp and the transformer board out to use
for custom lighting. The voltage that is applied to the board is 5 volts dc and it lights up just fine. So let your mind run wild. Mine is! :eek: Now, I know that I need another 1/2 dozen more lights to complete what's going through my mind!!!!!

Attachments

• MVC-048X.JPG
    MVC-048X.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 248
  • MVC-049X.JPG
    MVC-049X.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 250

docsnavely

Sep 20, 2004
Zushi, Japan
Here's an idea....... If you have a metro type layout w/any tall buildings, stand that bad boy up in the center, and light the building up. You might need to surround it in something to diffuse it since every scanner i've seen puts out an abundance of white light. Just an idea. :D

-doc

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
Ray- there is a really neat real high torque motor with a long belt that could work well with a saw mill and such. The motor runs fine on DC voltage, runs fine at 12 volts, a little fast thou and works well with different resistors to control speed back down.

Waytech- It feels just like a hot - hot fence charger, I know!!! it got me!!! Peed on myself - LOL !!

Val -- Why go out and buy lights when a little scrounging for free works well?
I'm a poor boy and have to make do.

Fred - Nice place - allelectronics had a lot of stuff that got my eye!! Thank you!

Doc - Good idea! Your right about the aundance of light, I thought about that also and found plastic cylinders about 1/2 inch in dia. and 12 inches long at hobby lobby, they had transparent Red and Amber. For control of white light, I thought about the Amber sleve and spray paint white on it with only a thin coat at a time till I reached
the brightness that I wanted.

rcline - (Randy)

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
rcline said:
Waytech- It feels just like a hot - hot fence charger, I know!!! it got me!!! Peed on myself - LOL !!

Ah, yes. When I was in the Air Force, I got to be a real expert on zaping myself. Could tell if the frequency was off just by the tingle! And good old 110v would tingle, 220v would be a bit more of a "bite" but not enough to get me you jump. Thankfully, I never tried 440v 3 phase that the aircraft used (I would have looked a little like that guy the Joker zaps in the first Batman movie! :eek: )

Ah, the good old days.

"Hmmm, feels like the 110 is a little off...."

Michael

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
You guys who want to use the "body kick test"(touch the circuit, and measure the distance the voltage "kicks" you) to determine voltage, can go right ahead! I lost an arguement with a pulse forming network, charged to 14KV.....not the most pleasant experience I've ever had. :eek:

docsnavely

Sep 20, 2004
Zushi, Japan
14K, holy crap! the most i've ever seen was the 440, 3ph that McFortner was talking about. Instead of it being an aircraft, it was one of the transmitter panels for the SPY/1B Aegis radar. We had some new boot tech come in thinking he was gonna find the reason why the array was down. he he he, he found out what not to do when troubleshooting that day!:thumb: :rolleyes:

-doc

capt_turk

Nov 14, 2004
Green Cove Springs, Fla.
Try grabbing an undischarged color TV picture tube. 37K. It'll knock your shorts off! Used to work in a TV shop as a kid. Got hit several times before I got gunshy enough to make sure they were discharged before picking them up. Seems like I wasn't too sharp as a kid....daah!