New life for a Life-Like blinky water tower.

Discussion in 'The Academy' started by shaygetz, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

My hobby buck having been desimated to replace our beloved grey beastie, I had to go back to shelved projects to keep my idle hands off the streets and at home by 10. I enjoy seeing what treasures lay in the dorkiest of toy train accessaries hence my latest 'bash. Its tank sits way too high on the trestle work, the blinky is an unreal 2' in diameter, its platform unsafe and the ladder work fit for a fire tower but not a water tower...

Attached Files:

2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I first removed the tank assembly, discarding the platform and tank support. On the tower, I removed the ladders and their landings and carved off al flashing on the castings. I removed the top tier of lattice work and trimmed down the main posts to snuggle in the tank more realistically.

Attached Files:

3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Using a spice bottle cap and the water tank with roof removed as a pattern, I traced out a new walk way for around the tank.

Attached Files:

4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

After I cut out the walkway from .020" styrene, I cut up some Pola scaffolding and used it for the uprights that make up the handrail around the perimeter of the tank. I just eyeballed them in place figuring that the carefullest of measuring would not yield any better results.

Attached Files:

5. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

A quick throw down to see if I'm getting the desired results...so far, so good. Tomorrow brings on the handrails and other details.

Attached Files:

6. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the comments.

The handrails were dreaded but, after a minor brain storm, a fairly easy way to mount hand rails was found. I used .030 x .040" Evergreen Styrene wide side up for the top rail and .010 X .030" styrene for the mid rail.

I pre-curled the top rail by pulling it between my index finger tip and thumb nail...

Attached Files:

7. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Then I glued it wide side up to the tops of the posts using a gel type Crazy Glue.

Attached Files:

8. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

By carefully mitreing (?) the joint, it came out nearly invisible. A pair of flush cut nippers is indespensable for this type of close work. Then I glued it with Tenex, a fiercely quick drying styrene cement.

Attached Files:

9. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

The mid rail was precurled and applied wide side out with Tenex. Because of its width, the joint needed no additional work to hide it.

Attached Files:

10. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Another quick cobble to check fit and form. If you look carefully, you'll find the joints (I ain't tellin' :p ). I'm pleased with the results enough that my lightship project got moved up a notch.

Attached Files:

11. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Now that we're up to date on Tim Allen....

I thought I was going to put a straight ladder on it but, not wanting to be upstaged by a newcomer pointing out that all such things of a certain height were mandated by XYZ Beauracracy to have safety caged ladders by such and such a date :p ;) :rolleyes: :D , I went about building a caged ladder.

First, I made the hoops by bending them aroung a pencil...

Attached Files:

12. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

After securing brass ladderstock that had been notched every fifth rung, I soldered the hoops to it using a wooden spoon handle as a former.

Attached Files:

13. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I then cleaned the joints with a file after I removed it from the former.

Attached Files:

14. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Then I soldered the cage ribbons using alligator clips as clamps...then it was off to bed :sleeping:

Attached Files:

15. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Can't sleep...so I mounted it, after cleaning it with soap and water and air drying it.

Attached Files:

16. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I bent the ribbons out slightly and bent the ladder to meet the support like so...THEN it was off to bed :sleeping:

Attached Files:

17. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Thanks for the comments. Now I think I'm ready for one of your pantographs, Ray.

I confess I wasn't as pleased with the cage as I kept looking at it. It wasn't "cagey" enough and looked a bit too big. Soooo...off it came. I snipped off the hoops from the ladder....rolled it around a smaller former, this time an Xacto knife handle...resoldered it and added two more ribbons. Only took about 25 minutes and I'm at one with myself on the final results.

Attached Files:

18. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

A close up...

Attached Files:

19. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

No it isn't, Ray...'til the laws of Thermo-dynamics quickly remind you how well brass wire conducts heat :eek:

Thanks, guys. More coming...
  20. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

Looking Sweet Shay! :thumb:

Your LBP's may want'ta stay off'n it til Frances blows by though. :eek: ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.