New Layout

blue303

Hello, everybody. For my first post I decided to show off my new layout that I am building. It is based off of the HO scale Rock Ridge Central that Model Railroader had in the January 2002 issue. It now fits on a 3' x 5' board. The main theme I am going for is a freelanced western railroad serving a copper mine in the early 1960's. The minimum track radius is 11". I am not sure what grade I need to use yet to clear the tracks under the mine branch track. Probably 3 or 4% grade. I plan on having the layout transportable.
rock_ridge_central.jpg

I drew it up in XTrkCad. Then I printed it out full size. It is nice having access to a large format printer. I used sign foam for the base and framework. It makes for a light and fairly rigid structure. On the negative side it is rather expensive. I lucked out that at work they were throwing away a display made out of it. I ended up with enough for two 3' x 5' layouts. After getting the base together I added one sheet of 1 1/2" insulation foam.
100_0500.jpg

That is a picture with the layout drawing on it. I tacked that down so I could make where the tracks go. A toothpick worked well for marking the foam. After that I went back and used a sharpie to highlight all of the track marks.
100_0501.jpg

This picture shows some of the cork that glued down today. I would have got more done but I misplaced the rest of my thumbtacks.

I plan on making updates as a progress on this. My goal is to have the terrain fully roughed by sometime July.

Edited to change 3' x 6' to 3' x 5'.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hi and welcome! I remember that plan. Looks good! Keep us up to date on your progress!
Ralph

blue303

Update. I have been busy since I started this thread. I got all of the roadbed and rail done on the lower level. The incline set went on nicely. The water area is cut out. It still needs alot of work there. The most important thing is that I have an operation train now. So far the electrical consists of jumper wires. My next project is going to be getting some real wiring on the lower level.
100_0502.jpg

100_0504.jpg

100_0507.jpg

edited to add missing word.

blue303

Thanks for the comments. Getting the first train to run on this layout was a great feeling. Now if I can teach my little catzilla to quit attacking the caboose I will be in better shape.

I am curious to how the water is going to turn out too. I'm not quite sure if I want it to look like a water inlet or a mostly dry riverbed. I think either one would look right. The mostly dry riverbed seems a like it would fit the theme I'm going for better.

steamhead

Ooohhh yeaahhhh...!!!! That first train run is something to remember...When that came about in my new layout...there was much whoopin' and hollerin' going on..!!!
Good luck..and may it bring you many happy hours...!!!

blue303

I have been making some good progress this week. I got all of the roadbed down and 97% of the track. I even have started three of the four mountains.
100_0529_cropped.jpg

Sorry about the blurrynes in this one. It does show Catzilla though. That is important for later.
100_0532cropped.jpg

Now the roadbed is down and drying.
100_0538cropped.jpg

The rail is down now.
100_0541.jpg

That is from last night. Two out of four mountains started. I have my main bus wire. I just need to get some feeder wire so I can get started on the wiring.
100_0543cropped.jpg

We have some more mountains and daylight.
100_0544.jpg

Bridge and mine scene.
100_0545.jpg

Around the bend.
100_0547.jpg

The otherside of the bend. See all those thumbtacks and wet glue. That is the repair I have to do since the Catzilla attack. She decided to jump up on the layout. The books that was holding down the mountain fell and took out the track. I guess you could say we had an avalanche this morning. wall1 Nobody was hurt.

The goal for the rest of the weekend is to get the mountains roughed out.

edited. I notice the kink in the track in the last picture. I just fixed it. Just noticed it when I looking over this post.

jesso

Looks great. Sorry to hear about the Catzilla attack. I have heard that happens even on 20 foot high layouts so I guess I am lucky to have no cats. What are you using to cut your foam?

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Good looking progress! Catzilla made me laugh because one of mine "walked the line' from time to time when she was younger and spry enough to leap up there.
Ralph

blue303

I have been using a scratch built hot wire foam cutter. I made it for work for displays and such. It is based off of a design I found on the web. It uses a radio shack transformer, light dimmer & guitar string. It works really well. The beauty of using pvc pipe on it that I can make it bigger or smaller.
100_0548.jpg

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Wow, you put those insta mountains in and that critter took on a whole new personality. I would advise devising a means of keeping catzilla out of this room as he/she will be a never ending source of destruction and frusturationwall1.

blue303

The mountains did really change the look of things. They make nice scenic view blocks.

Not alot of progress lately. I got sidetracked with my other hobbies. On a positive note I got started on putting the feeder wires for the different blocks. I also broke Catzilla of climbing on the layout.

jesso

Good to hear Catzilla attacks are finished. Don't worry about progress, sometimes you feel it, sometimes you don't, I haven't for quite a while, but I think this weekend will be a change for me (we'll see)