New layout

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by zachary, Jan 6, 2008.

1. zachary

zachary Member

I am going to start on my layout in a couple of days now n scale and would like some advise on trackplans my space is a 4 x 8 cant go no bigger i am into modern day stuff thanks in advance zachary
  2. ozzman

ozzman New Member

Hi Zachary

Given that most modern equipment is long, you should perhaps be looking at a layout with curves as broad as possible, both for reliability and for the sake of appearances. Model Railroader publish a wide range of books with track plans, so you might be able to find something in one of those.

Best wishes with the new layout!
  3. ozzman

ozzman New Member

Addendum: In the Layout Planning forum, near the top, there's a "Givens and Druthers" form that you might find useful.

Gary
  4. zachary

zachary Member

thanks ozzman ill be constructing my benchwork wensday i kinda like the worlds greatest hobby track plans shape and maybe ill play around with that nd i hve a pamplet with a couple of ho 4x8 plans
  5. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

That's a good idea. With modern equipment in N, you'll be looking at curves in the 15" and up range, so the HO plans will be a good basis. Assuming, that is, that the plans are good to start with.

Are your goals similar to what you wanted with the HO layout you were planning a while back?
  6. zachary

zachary Member

yes they are i am thinking of using the madison central for a starting base plan and modify it some what with a couple more sidings and a locomtive house
  7. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

The Madison Central doesn't really show the possibilities available in N in this space. One good thing about it is the "kidney bean" mainline shape.

To handle long trains on a small layout (and 4x8 still isn't large in N), a double-track main is often best.
  8. zachary

zachary Member

ok ill think about it in the meantime can you draw a plan for me i really liked the other one could it be downsized from the ho size to my n scale size thanks zach
  9. zachary

zachary Member

well its gonna be sometime next week when i can start my layout because my grandpa who is going to help me couldnt make it to my house today so next week
  10. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

You mean my Cajon Pass design? I thought you said it was too complex? Anyway, it was 9x20 in HO, so it would require about 5x11 in N.
  11. zachary

zachary Member

i looked it over a few times after that and i think i could of built it but i dont have the choice anymore so im on the hunt for a track plan im thinking of a enlarged senic and relaxed