New Layout

Rath150

Dec 28, 2006
Hi,
Well, you have odne it. Made me want to re-do my old ugly layout.
I am going to try to put some pix for you to laugh at. What it was and what I sould like to do.
My artestry is bad. (Mouse doesn't want to draw well) But maybe you will get the idea??
Alolng withmy rag tag approach to making a layout, I have some rag tag questions.
I knew I shouldn't have started this at the age of 70. My mind must be going!
Questions:
When I one set of tracks with another can you leave and enter from set to set using the same connector?
if all the tracks are connected, is it possible to run a train independently on each set of tracks?
example: if I have two trains running on one track - one train goes to another track - can I regulate that train - speed, etc. independently from the power source of the track it left?
If you think this confuses you, think how it confuses me.

Take a look - laugh - and tell me I am not crazy along w/ suggestions.sign1
I hope I have uploaded the pix properly? First time.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Nope - pix did not come through. Look at the link in my signature on how to post pictures if you have more trouble.

I am not sure I understand your first question (set to set using the same connector?), but the second question seems to be "Can you control trains independently?".

The answer is yes. It is easy to do with DCC, where each train is basically equipped witha computer chip, and only responds to commands addressed to it. This means you can independently control, direction, speed and things like lights and sound if so desired, even if the trains are right next to each other on the same piece of track.

The other way to do it is to use DC (the "old" powerpack approach), and wire the layout for "cab control". This involves some careful planning of wiring to ensure that the powerpacks can be routed to every part of the layout so that one can contiunously supply power for one specific loco.

Andrew

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If you are doing block wiring with dc control, you need one power pack for each train you want to run simultaneously. If you are only running one train at a time, you only need one power pack, & throttle. If you are running more than one train, but never more than one at a time, you can put in sidings that isolate from the mainline where a train can be parked and power shut off to it to allow you to run another train. I think starter dcc systems are around $100.00 now (I may be mistaken); so doing the math, it doesn't take long to realise that 2 dc throttles gets you pretty close to the break even point and more than two throttles makes dcc look good economically as well as operationally.

Rath150

Dec 28, 2006
I guess the pix were to big.
Have to resize them tomorrow at work.
Then I can send them properly.
In my case - set means track to track. There will be 3 tracks and I plan on connecting them.
When I get the pix in tomorrow should help???

Thanks for the patience!

Paul

Rath150

Dec 28, 2006
new layout maybe with pix

Well, maybe you will be able to make heads or tails of my layout and what I want to do as well as what I can do?
AS you see I have 3 tracks. I want to connect them all? But if I do can each track run independently of the others. If so,being more than an extreme newbie, am I biting off more than I can chew?
Now, when I connect the tracks can I use that same switch to go to one track and back to the original track or must I have another switch?
Please take a look and humor this old man - my wife is not -plus put me on a strict budget!!

I have followed all the steps.

Attachments

• 2 layout (2).jpg
    2 layout (2).jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 01 LAYOUT (2).jpg
    01 LAYOUT (2).jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 1 lauout.jpg
    1 lauout.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 112

Rath150

Dec 28, 2006
Don't know how I got these here but did??
I made a new thread "new layout maybe with pix"
couoldn't get thenm on one thread now have them on two.
Sorry!

Seaboard

Dec 14, 2006
Conyers GA.
If you want your trains to run independently, use a DCC track system. Especially Digitracks systems. They work great. and you thought your first layout was bad, take a look at my first one! Then as you progress through the pictures, note that what you can do with your rebuilding layout. I got the idea of my layout from a neighbor. click on the thread link in my signature. Let your creativity run wild!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Having a bunch of inter connected loops is ok if that is what you want to do. For me, I just don't care for the idea of being able to take a shot cut just because I threw a couple of switches. I like to have a purpose for each peice of track I install on a layout. That is just my opinion.

Rath150

Dec 28, 2006
I like what you have done!
I have noticed that many RR's are building their layouts as you have done with the middle narrow and the ends wider.
is there a benefit to that tyoe compapred to mine?
My imagination runs wild (what I have left). Want to put a couple of mountains (maybe even 3). As noted, one with a logging camp, one mining and last one near mt. side of track 2 w/ a tunnel. maybe ski resort or homes. Lots of grandeous ideas, I know.
On retirement income and a wife that thinks I'm nuts for starting at this age, it is an uphill battle.
But, I'm having fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The main advantage of using the large ends with a narrowed middle is to allow easy access to all of the railroad in case of a derail. The large parts at the ends allow for return loops. The layout type is referred to as a "dog bone."