New Layout

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by rtmiles, Dec 13, 2006.

1. rtmiles

rtmiles New Member

Hello everyone, Im new to the forum and pretty new the N scale so please fell free to add you advice. Here are a few pics of my new layout. I still have a long way to go but you can see the general lay of the land in this area. This is the south end of the layout where my switching yard will be. The overall layout when done will be about six time what you see. Hopefully I will have most of the bench work done in the next couple of months and the mainline by summer.

Thanks,

rtmiles

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

You probably already know this...but add a base of foam insulation (bought at any home supply store for about $20 or less). The whole operation will be quieter and you can carve out streams and such. Although I might be the first to answer your post, I'm probably marginally qualifid to help someone start their layout from the benchwork up...but there's many great layouts that have been built on this website and I know there are more qualified modelers that are great at helping people start from the ground up. I'll stop here and defer to them. So far - you're off to a great start - that benchwork looks plenty strong.
  3. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

My site might help you. I show how to build the benchwork, lay the foam, lay the track etc. Pop on over it might help:)
  4. sidetracked

sidetracked Member

hey rt,,, thought i would let you know,,, there is a saw behind the back seat of the pickup when it gets to your house,,,,, I will get another one,,,,, looking good,,,, ,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, sidetracked,,
  5. rtmiles

rtmiles New Member

Thanks, for all the replies guys. I am going to try and get to the hardware store after work tonight and get some foam for the base. I have a lot of foam left from a work project that I will be using for risers/etc but it is not what I want for the base. I am also going to try and get one more base section done. As you can see I am building the layout in sections. This should make it easier to move if I ever have to. I will send more pics out when I get the foam down.

Side, thanks for the saw it will make things a lot easier....
  6. rtmiles

rtmiles New Member

Here are a couple of updated pictures:....

Attached Files:

7. sidetracked

sidetracked Member

lookin good rt, I think you will like the end result a lot better,,,, ,,,,, keep it going,,,, ,,, st
  8. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Looking better already. Keep it up;)
  9. rtmiles

rtmiles New Member

Update:

I've been busy at work so not much progress but here is a picture of what I got so far. Im still waiting on my code 55 flex track so no track has been laided yet. Hopefuly it will come in in the next couple of days....

Attached Files:

10. sidetracked

sidetracked Member

rt,,, looks like you have been pretty busy,,,, nothing has changed here,, going to try to get a good start after the first of the year,,,, will shout at you later,,,,, looking good,,,,, ,,,, st
  11. rtmiles

rtmiles New Member

Hello guys, I finally got some track in and am in the process of in stalling my switchs. I went with peco switch which have been a pain to work with but they should look good when I done. I am going to use atlas switchs with build in motors in the back areas to save the stress..:) I will try to get a couple of new pcitures up tonight....

Later,

rtmiles
  12. sidetracked

sidetracked Member

I thought maybe I was going to have to send you a new camara,,,,,, will be waiting on the pics,,, talk to you later,,,,, ,,,,, st
  13. rtmiles

rtmiles New Member

Update!

Well, it has take a while but I finaly have most of my track down for these sections (Turnouts and all :)) Here are a few pictures of how it looks. I still have a lot of work left but it is coming together...

Later,

RT

Attached Files:

14. sidetracked

sidetracked Member

lookin good rt,,,,,,,,,will give you a shout later on,,,,, take care,,,,,,, st
  15. berraf

berraf Member

What a tempo you have! impressing :)
    To start from the bottom it seems that you built a steady bench for the layout. That´s good!
    The foam will make it easy to build a various landscape and the raisers gives a excellent ground for the climbing up.
    I really like your work :)
    The place for the turntable is something that really must be there. Everyone should have a turntable and I don´t have any for the time but I´m glad every time I see one...
  16. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

AT this point if you 'bullet proof' your track 90% of the fun will start and most of the frustration will be illiminated no and in the future. NOW is the time to take the time to ensure good track. Honestly, if you do it now, though it takes a lot of testing and time, it will save you tons of headaches later and you won't have to tear up scenery to fix something later.

I hope that helps and prevents problems later. :)