new layout

gavin manley

Hi all :wave:

I've just joined the site and thought i'd intro myself my names gavin and I

am starting to build an 'N' guage layout in the new year and could do with some advice. Im building a santa fe based layout in 'N' and I have a few ideas already
the space is an L shape of about 13ft x 2ft .i've thought of putting a yard on the syhoulder of the L curved to fit and strait intermodal sidings towards 1 end of the layout but cant figure wether to fit a a maintainance depot for locos somewere? any help would be appreciated
cheers gav

MCL_RDG

Welcome aboard

:p Welcome aboard Gavin. In this season of giving- just remember- 'tis better to give (advice) than to receive (especially if you're not to sure what the heck is going on).

Mark

Pooh Bah
Gavin:
Do you have or do you plan to have far too many locomotives? (In other words, are you normal?) A maintenance depot for locos is a good spot to display the extras when not in use or to store the ones that no longer work.
One trick that can be used is to model only the front of the building and put it against a wall, with lots of tracks outside. This also reduces the problems with extracting stock from inside and cleaning tracks. (from an old Peco track plan book)
Curved yards look nice, but can be tricky to operate as the couplings don't always catch.

gavin manley

cheers david
so it's back to the strait ladder . but that means that i could fit a platform and small building there more locos to buy
cheers

Zman

Do you have room for a hidden staging area in your track plan.

Staging areas make for great operations.