New Layout Under Construction (The NCRR)

sabretooth47

NCRR = Nickel City Rail Road

So I FINALLY started laying the groundwork this weekend for my first "real" layout. It will be built upon a 80"x32" hollow door. So far, I've verified where the track will lay, made some adjustments to the original plan, and cookie-cut the two grades.

Not much to look at yet, but I'll document my progress as I think of it. I'll post pictures as they are available.

:twisted:

sabretooth47

Figure I'd post the block schematic. 8 Blocks total.

I split the passing track into two blocks, so an engine can come up behind the other without hogging the mainline.

Attachments

• NCRR_BLOCK_SCHEM_0414.JPG
    NCRR_BLOCK_SCHEM_0414.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 13

sabretooth47

Some preliminary construction pics. Doesn't show much, but the cookie-cut grades are obvious.

Attachments

• 041408a.JPG
    041408a.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 041408b.JPG
    041408b.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 7

sabretooth47

I finished laying the track (Atlas Code 80) this weekend. I'll be starting the wiring this week at some point. Not really much to look at but I took some pics of the progress:

Attachments

• 042108a.JPG
    042108a.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 042108b.JPG
    042108b.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 042108c.JPG
    042108c.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 042108d.jpg
    042108d.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 6

GeorgeHO

Hi, It looks to me like you need a separate block on the right hand side of the main so that trains can approach the passing sidings from both sides, and you want both sidings independent of the main so that you can park a train on either leg of the siding. (no DCC right?)

Looks great.

sabretooth47

Hi, It looks to me like you need a separate block on the right hand side of the main so that trains can approach the passing sidings from both sides, and you want both sidings independent of the main so that you can park a train on either leg of the siding. (no DCC right?)

Looks great.

Right, no DCC. I'm going to restricting the direction of the engines to run only left (clockwise) around the layout, so I opted to leave the blocks as is. That's why I separated the passing track. An engine can sit idle at the left end of the passing track while one pulls in behind. Once the front engine leaves the track for the mainline, the engine can pull the rest of the way into the passing lane.

It's a relatively small layout and I didn't have much track, so I planned it to only run a max of two engines at a time on the main. I most likely won't do that often as I only have two throttles.

My planned operation is use one throttle to run a freight around the mainline while the second does some yard switching.