New Layout Progress

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Thanks nolatron and Chessie6459 for the info about the material used for asphalt paving.
It looks good and realistic. I'll ,for sure, use that WS kit for the next road I'll build.

About buildings: Is one of the buildings the DPM roadkill cafe ? ( what a name :) )

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
Couple pics of the foliage I got on the layout yesterday. These are some of the mid-work pics.

I started with using WS Scenic glue, but found it too runny and not tacky enough for vertical surfaces. So for the bulk of these pics, I just took a tiny bit of foliage, put a small bit of hot glue on it and stuck it on the layout. It stayed in place and was dried almost instantly. Worked like a charm.

I would then "backfill" some areas with the scenic glue since it was able to sorta run down and in through the foliage to help glue it down more. Thinking about giving the foliage on the walls a spray of scenic cement as well, just to kinda lock it all down.

I was also planning on just making that whole vertical wall on the west tunnel foliage, but then remember I had some retaining walls. Threw on some black and burnt umber wash and glued on. Looks a lot better I think.

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
This may sound totally crazy, but would anyone be interested in buying this layout as-is in the houston area?

The wife and I will mostly like be moving into our new in February, and I wanna do work on a new n-scale layout. Something to let me run longer strings of intermodals with min 19" curves. Basically get rid of the limitations of the Scenic Ridge plan. So of course I'm more interested in desigining the new one to that finishing the current one now.

I'm thinking probably something like $500-700 for the layout and the scenary materails left (excludes buildings/cars/trains pictured in photos). I'll be honest and say this was my first real layout with scenary and ballast, so it's no masterpiece (and has one or two switches I accidently glued while doing ballast, oops.).

So if you may be interested, drop me a line.

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
I went ahead and tossed up the layout as-is on ebay to see if it'll sell.

I'm more into planning the new layout than finishing the current one, and I won't have anyplace to put this one after I move. So we'll see what happens. If you're interested drop me a PM for the auction link.