New Layout Pictures

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
TruckLover said:
The tools you are thinking of are called putty knifes and i did wait for it to dry (overnite) and then for a couple hours in the morning. Then I tryed to smooth it out and it got a little beter but not much. Thanks for the help though.:)

no, its not a putty knife. Its a trowel. you have to drage the flat end of the trowel toards you to scrape everything up. putty knifes are to small to go across the entire road.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
TruckLover said:
Thanks :), All I did was start with the base, add the outside, paint it brown, sprinkle brown dirt and green grass and then add bushes and other stuff. I still have to add trees to both of them. I think that I still am going to add some rock faces to them too.

Your Hill sounds like it will be pretty cool.
Thanks! Maybe I should paint it green before I apply the ground cover then? Like I said earlier, its going to be a grassy, bushy, tree filled layout, with a lake and a smallish village. No big operations, just some nice scenery. I do love how you are building the mine(s) though. I actually am a huge fan of rally racing, WRC style, and am thinking of putting a small dirt road off to the one corner which won't have tracks anywhere near it, and making it look like a rally car is ripping around on the dirt road

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
viperman said:
Thanks! Maybe I should paint it green before I apply the ground cover then? Like I said earlier, its going to be a grassy, bushy, tree filled layout, with a lake and a smallish village. No big operations, just some nice scenery. I do love how you are building the mine(s) though. I actually am a huge fan of rally racing, WRC style, and am thinking of putting a small dirt road off to the one corner which won't have tracks anywhere near it, and making it look like a rally car is ripping around on the dirt road

paint it then sprinkle fine ground foam while it is still wet (preferably immeadiately after wards). cover every spot, even if its not touching the wet paint. then mix some water with dish detergent, and use an eyedropper to drip it all through the ground foam. finally, apply Woodland Scenics Scenic cement.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
green_elite_cab said:
paint it then sprinkle fine ground foam while it is still wet (preferably immeadiately after wards). cover every spot, even if its not touching the wet paint. then mix some water with dish detergent, and use an eyedropper to drip it all through the ground foam. finally, apply Woodland Scenics Scenic cement.
It won't be for a while yet, but when I get there I will remember this. Is there a reason to put the dish detergent in with the water? Help it spread out?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
green_elite_cab said:
no, its not a putty knife. Its a trowel. you have to drage the flat end of the trowel toards you to scrape everything up. putty knifes are to small to go across the entire road.

O ok, I guess I have both of them then. I have a big 1 and a little 1.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
viperman said:
I actually am a huge fan of rally racing, WRC style, and am thinking of putting a small dirt road off to the one corner which won't have tracks anywhere near it, and making it look like a rally car is ripping around on the dirt road

That sounds like a pretty cool idea. I can't wait to see some progress. i just saw that you have a thread and I am going to go view it right now!!

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Gil Finn said:
I dont see any new pics????

AAHHH, well here's all I got for now

It's the start of the mini creek that is on the layout. I have cut out the parts needed and arleady made the base where the creek will go (blue). And I painted the concrete culverts, and did the road and grade crossing:

Attachments

• Creek1.jpg
    Creek1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 193
  • Creek2.jpg
    Creek2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 190

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
TruckLover said:
AAHHH, well here's all I got for now

It's the start of the mini creek that is on the layout. I have cut out the parts needed and arleady made the base where the creek will go (blue). And I painted the concrete culverts, and did the road and grade crossing:

*GASP*

that creek won't look right with blue paint. trust me. You will need thicker layers to. All my magazines and articles reccomend dark blues ( almost black) towards the center, and let ti trun into browns and coastline colors as it nears the ends. light blue like that definitely won't look right when you have the "water" poured in. Its really late for me right now, but i'll detail all the right processes in the morning.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
green_elite_cab said:
*GASP*
that creek won't look right with blue paint. trust me. You will need thicker layers to. All my magazines and articles reccomend dark blues ( almost black) towards the center, and let ti trun into browns and coastline colors as it nears the ends. light blue like that definitely won't look right when you have the "water" poured in. Its really late for me right now, but i'll detail all the right processes in the morning.

The blue was just there to show were the water will go and it's only sharpie, do you really think I would leave it like that and pour water over it?? LOL. I no that I have to paint it differnt. But if you want, you can show me in tha morning, that would be great!! Thanks:)

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
oh ok, lol. I suppose there is one exceptrion to the rule there though. Over here in NJ, there is a construction vehicle training ground (every crane and vehicle imagineable, lol) but there is a lake right there next to it, and it is totally blue. Its almost unatural, and its ironic considering that its next toe the NJ turnpike as well. you'd think dirt and stuff would get in there, lol.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
I will, but its 30 minutes to midnight here on the east coast, lol. past few nights i've been up until like 1, which is bad for me, lol.

and water here is scary if you are used to blue water, lol.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
I havn't been there forever. They also have the Norscot Construction Equipment there for dirt cheap as well, If I can remember, $6.99 as opposed to $20.99. I will have to go there and check it out. I could use some cars on my layout. I mean all I have is trucks and no cars.:eek:ops: People have to get to work in those buildings right??sign1 sign1